Programming a new key

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
indianajoe

Re: Programming a new key

Post by indianajoe »

I found a dealer on eBay that had a few OEM flip keys so I bough one of those

Gonna get it cut by an independent and it should work, no?
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Got a link?
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-GM-OEM-08 ... 5250842008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't received it yet, but there's two left
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Let us know how it goes. Do you have a fob to put the key into yet?
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

I'm awaiting a remote start 4 button fob (and a hood latch) from gmpartsdirect, and my bcm reprogrammed for remote start from white auto

I figured I'd make a remote start equipped flip key as my primary and keep my three button fixed key as a backup since I only have one key right now
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I've also only got one kit and it's the fixed one so I'm looking to follow you on the process.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

indianajoe wrote:I found a dealer on eBay that had a few OEM flip keys so I bough one of those

Gonna get it cut by an independent and it should work, no?
Well you will reuse and attach your bottom button portion to the new key assembly so your keyless entry should not be effected. BUt in the New FOB top you will have a new immobilizer chip that will need to be programmed.

The G8 guys that go from flip key to flip key just transfer over their chip. But if you go from Fixed to Flip you cannot easily get out the chip from the fixed key, so a reprogramming is the easier alternative.

And also you need to confirm that a new (unprogrammed) immobilizer chip even comes with your new FOB top. Does that auction say? I did not look.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Steve, I'm not really "converting" to a flip key, I'm making a second key that happens to be a flip key. I'm getting a four button pad for the flip key.

Since it's an OEM key blank I'd be surprised if it didn't include a chip

I expect to have to perform whatever procedure is needed to learn a new key+fob, after getting the key cut
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ah I see OK yea then programming for both the key less entry and the immobilizer. YEa it being a GM part I bet it does come with the immobilizer Chip. The Chinese clones do no though usually.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

I was looking around for flip key info and I was wondering if it would come to cutting up a fixed key like you had to in your thread, but then I threw the part number at ebay one more time and there it was lol