Underhood Fused Leads Information

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Underhood Fused Leads Information

Post by smwalker »

Needed to add a relay for the fog lights and thought I would look into adding to the factory fuse box to get a power lead out to the under hood area. Saw many fuse location in our under hood fuse box had contacts on both sides, meaning there were wired up in the block just not connected to anything. Pulled the fuse block and found the following:

Fuse- Pins - Pin Size - Connector Part Number
F13 - Pin 81 - Medium (1.5 Series) - 7116-4781-02 <<wrong the medium pins are the 2.8 series.
F14 - Pin 82 - "
F27 - Pin 73 - "

F26 - Pin 78 - Large (6.3 series) - 7116-4124-2
F30 - Pin 76 - "
F34 - Pin 75 - "

7116-4124-02 says it accepts wire size 5.0 I assume mm (Not found in catolog, special part for GM?) Probly 10 gauge wire.
7116-4122-02 says wire size is 12 gauge
7116-4121-02 says wire size is 14 gauge

The 2.8 series is for the Medium Pins - Intermediate amp draws, lights,

The 6.3 Series is for the large Pins - Higher Amp draws, cooling fans,

All of the Pins end up in the X2 area connector. Here is what that looks like:

I got a supply of the 6.3 and mistakenly ordered the 1.5. Still need to get the 2.8 but will use the 6.3 for now even though it is overkill for the fog light application for instance. But is easier to work with.

SOme info on the connector/terminal series: Yazaki YESC Kaizen Series
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Underhood Fused Leads Information

Post by smwalker »

The Above information was for the 11-13 WM models. Working on the WN model now with a 14. If you have a 15, 16 or 17 please post a pic of your underhood fuse box so I can see if any changes took place throughout the years. Just adding initial information to this thread so far to keep things in one place. Still need to identify the three sizes of the terminals at the bottom of the fuse box and part numbers for the 3 different relay styles. Will update as I find information.

Whats nice in the 14's is we seem to have spots wired up for relays (11-13 did not) and fuse locations. Most likely Candidate for something like a Fog light would be Relay spot 7 although spot 8 has a larger connector underneath for higher amp needs. It uses those square fuses that can be hard to come by in a pinch. Where as relay 7 and fuse spot 16 use the standard mini fuse.

There are 5 plugs under the fuse box that the box leads connect into X1-5. Will post a picture of them all together and label it so it will make it easier to identify. They are different colors so that helps. Album of Connector Diagrams

Relay 7 (Small Square Relay) Listed as for the Driving Lamp
Contact 30 - Fuse 16 (Mini Fuse Type) - X_ Terminal #37 (Medium size terminal)
Contact 85 - X_ Terminal #35 (Small size terminal)
Contact 86 - X_ Terminal #52 (Small size terminal)
Contact 87 - gets 12 volt power from fuse box distribution - Battery power always on.

Relay 8 (Small Square Relay) Listed as for the Headlamp Washer Pump
Contact 30 - Fuse 17 (large square JCASE fuse type) - X_ Terminal #42 (Large size terminal)
Contact 85 - X3 Terminal #13 (Small size terminal)
Contact 86 - X3 Terminal #36 (Meduim size terminal)
Contact 87 - gets 12 volt power from fuse box distribution - Battery power always on.

Relay 39 Listed as for the Coolant Pump Relay - Auxiliary
Contact 30 - Fuse 52 - X_ Terminal #36 (Medium size terminal)
Contact 85 - X_ Terminal #10 (???? size terminal)
Contact 86 - X_ Terminal #2,9,11,17,18,23 (???? size terminal) (maybe ignition power on this leg, need to confirm)

Relay 55 (rectangular 35 amp relay ) Listed as for the HID System
Contact 30 - Fuse 62 - X_ Terminal #10 (???? size terminal)
Fuse 63 - X_ Terminal #16
Contact 85 - X_ Terminal #14 (Small size terminal)
Contact 86 - gets 12 volt power from fuse box distribution - Battery power always on.

And if you just want to add a fused circuit here are the stand alone fuses that do not have a relay attached to them:
Fuse 69 - X_ Terminal #29 - Ignition on Power
More to add to this list.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Re: Underhood Fused Leads Information

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nice detective work there. I still need to install my fogs. Probably try to do that when I do the exhaust. The car will be off the ground already, so getting the bumper cover off should be easier.

Have you decided which route you are going with the wiring yet?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?