Volume and Tuner knob issues

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
YamWarrior

Volume and Tuner knob issues

Post by YamWarrior »

So my volume knobs and tuning knobs are finicky. With the volume knob on the dash, I can turn my radio down, but not up. It is almost jumpy when i try to adjust volume. On the steering wheel, the roller dial works perfect. Just a minor annoyance honestly. Same goes for my tuner knob, but not as bad.

Is this something that can be fixed through the service white media offers? I've been thinking about sending my unit in to be unlocked but I would like to gain usage of the volume knob for certain.

Anybody with a similar issue?
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Volume and Tuner knob issues

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome to the club on that one. Mine is doing the exact same thing and has been for a while now. I don't know if the little step switches in the pots get dirty or what the story is, I've never seen a face disassembled to the component level. My normal instinct would be to try some good quality contact cleaner (Caig Labs DeOxit), but having not seen what the motherboard looks like I'm hesitant to try to disassemble the face. The Helm manual does not give disassembly instructions for the face as it's a single part and not intended to be disassembled or otherwise monkeyed with in the field.

Hey Chris.... if you're out there weigh in here. Ever had one of the faces apart?

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

It's been awhile but yes. I believe one of the encoders is on the way out; it may be able to be cleaned though.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
YamWarrior

Post by YamWarrior »

So Chris, should I decide to send you my unit for your programming, would this be something you could look into? I understand it would certainly cost more as it will be more intricate work.

I guess I'm just a stickler for things working as they should.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

YamWarrior wrote:So Chris, should I decide to send you my unit for your programming, would this be something you could look into? I understand it would certainly cost more as it will be more intricate work.

I guess I'm just a stickler for things working as they should.

I mean I can certainly check it out and say "yeah you're got a bad faceplate and its likely an encoder" but I don't have the parts to service those. We are currently basically strictly programming due to time constraints and other factors but like I said I'm happy to check it out :)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

I have OCD really bad and had the Chevrolet Dealer order me a new stereo face plate $800 retail because mine had road rash on itl. In the first day with the new faceplate I noticed the same figgitty volume all over the place. Steering wheel works fine. Also I have seen 3 Caprices 11's-13's that the stereo would not shut off when you closed the door. Good Luck!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

On our car, I can adjust the volume with the dash knob, but if I adjust the volume with the controls on te steering wheel, THEN try to change the volume with the dash knobs, it's almost like I hit a mute button. Everything gets real quiet until I readjust the volume with the steering wheel controls.

Turn the radio on, and just change the volume with the dash knob, and everything is fine. Touch the steering wheel controls, though, and you better not mess with the dash knobs!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Looks like I'm not alone! The day I picked up my car I noticed the volume on the radio wouldn't automatically mute the audio down to 0 (zero). I've put a little over 20k on the car and have been using the steering wheel control. I really wish there was a replacement for the factory head unit, I really don't like it.