No Rear Speaker Output on 2013 Caprice Radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ejf2461

No Rear Speaker Output on 2013 Caprice Radio

Post by ejf2461 »

I just got my radio back from Chris White and took it to Stanley Chevrolet in Indianapolis to have it installed along with my reprogrammed BCM for remote start. As stated before Chris informed me that my radio did not have the video input that comes on all the 2011 & 2012's. I had originally taken the Caprice to the dealer to find out why my rear speakers didn't work.All wiring was checked and they advised it should work. Now they are telling me that my 2013 radio does not have rear speaker outputs...and that I still owe them $550 for the time they spent on diagnostics. I cant confirm if this is true. This dealership has done over 25k worth of work for me over the years and have never did me wrong. But this is a Unicorn Caprice and nobody seems to know how to fix things on them. Grrrrr!!! I have read numerous times on this forum about rear speakers not working when the fader is put all the way to the rear so maybe there is something true about this. Please advise if you know. I asked can you just wire the rear speakers to the front speakers and they said it would drop the ohm load down and the stereo couldn't support it and would shut down. So now I can stream my ipod to my wimpy stereo with 2 speakers! Yeah for me! Also since Chris White doesn't want to install the video adapter is there somebody on this forum that will allow me to pay you to do it. I dont mind if you want to solder RCA's on it either. I just want the back up camera installed. I have the camera & 2015 Caprice Chrome trim with the camera hole cutout already. Just need the radio modified to do it. I think I am going to seek out a good stereo shop to install and aftermarket amplifier and add the speakers that route, maybe install a subwoofer also.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
yargnits

Re: No Rear Speaker Output on 2013 Caprice Radio

Post by yargnits »

You realize you'll have to pull the silver box again to install the RCA connector for the rear cam?

As for your rear speakers, I'm not convinced that the stereo is the issue unless the fader is adjusted all the way to the front. Have you tried adjusting it yourself? If that doesn't work my next step would be to do a continuity test between the door wiring and the connector on the side of the radio.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

Yesterday while out the dealer ship freaking out over the $550 bill. I checked the radio and moved the fader to the rear and got no sound at all. Other on the forum with 2013 have had these same issues but no one has solved it. I have been searching all days for solutions and cant come up with anything. The dealer says the radio only has 2 speaker output. Does that mean the quadlock connector in the rear of the stereo on has two speaker outputs? I have read on the forum that you can add wires to the quadlock connector..such as an amplifier turn on. As far as the Rear Camera I know I will have to remove the stereo again but I am cool with that. Just wanna get this thing finished.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

ejf2461 wrote:Yesterday while out the dealer ship freaking out over the $550 bill. I checked the radio and moved the fader to the rear and got no sound at all. Other on the forum with 2013 have had these same issues but no one has solved it. I have been searching all days for solutions and cant come up with anything. The dealer says the radio only has 2 speaker output. Does that mean the quadlock connector in the rear of the stereo on has two speaker outputs? I have read on the forum that you can add wires to the quadlock connector..such as an amplifier turn on. As far as the Rear Camera I know I will have to remove the stereo again but I am cool with that. Just wanna get this thing finished.
The connector is on the side of the unit and can be accessed fairly easy from the pass side footwell. You should pop the thing off and see if you have wires going to the pins for the rear speakers. A pinout of the connector is here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you don't have wires going to this connector for the rears, wire some in. You'll have to source the pins tho. If there are wires there and you get continuity to the rear doors, then you might need to look for a new radio.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

yargnits wrote:
ejf2461 wrote:
If you don't have wires going to this connector for the rears, wire some in. You'll have to source the pins tho. If there are wires there and you get continuity to the rear doors, then you might need to look for a new radio.
He has to have the wires there because if the dealership checked things out they would have for sure had to verify the wires had continuity from the rear door speakers to the plug. If you do not have wires there ask the dealership how they determined "it should work" when there were no wires for it. Then promptly get your $550 back.

As to them not knowing even though wires were there there was no corresponding terminal in the stereo, well that would take someone with exceptional electrical diagnosing skill to realize. At $550 I would think that skill should come along with that price. Just saying.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

GM send a Corporate Tech to the Chevrolet Dealer after they verified the rear speaker wires were in the quadlock connector but still had no sound. The dealer installed a jumper from the front speaker channels and the rear speakers came to life. The dealer said they didn't sound that good either. After 10 hours of deliberating it was proved that my radio does not have rear speaker finals (outputs). The dealer & Corporate tech eventually took the radio apart to determine this. Funny how Chevrolet put speakers in doors even though their covered up by the new 2013 Redesigned Door Panel and wires them up complete to the quadlock connector in the radio. All I can say is that having 2 speakers doesn't sound that good. If I would of known this I would of bought the Radio that was for sale on the Forum. The future is either have the dealer get me a New 2012 Radio at least it will have 4 speaker output and the video input for a rear camera which I really want. If not I have met a guy on Ebay Australia that sales Holden Units with Navigation, SAT Radio & Back Up Camera. Option #3 is to have a local stereo shop install and aftermarket amp & solder on rca's so my back up camera will work and upgrade the speakers & add a sub. I will keep you posted though. I thought adding an aftermarket stereo in my Mercedes ML with Fiberoptics was hard?
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

For those interested, 2014s and 2015s have rear speakers that are also covered by the PPV rear door panels, and they do work. I'm hoping I can get some Holden door panels that closely match that have the speaker grills and door pockets these cars would have come with.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

WELL CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate to hear this. I was just checking here because I am having sorta the same problem with my 2013. I can adjust the sound to nothing but the left or right rear speaker, and I do have sound, but I have to turn it All of the way up to get just a little bit of sound. I am not convinced that there are no rear outputs as I do get some sound. Just not much. I have my doors all apart so that I can install my new speakers that I just go in, but it sounds like I may have to get an amp installed after all. :( I too would have bought another radio if I knew that I would not have rear sound.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV