Back Up Camera for 2013 PPV w/o video input

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ejf2461

Back Up Camera for 2013 PPV w/o video input

Post by ejf2461 »

As if this Caprice PPV isn't a Unicorn by itself. I have the rare 2013 Radio that does not have the 20 pin input for the very hard to find & get video connector so you can add a back up Camera. If you not picking up I really hate that it this difficult do get anything upgraded for this car. I have fully restored cars that were 30+ years old and they were far easier than this Caprice PPV. Well back to the radio. I sent mine to Chris to get programmed along with the BCM and he advised my radio does not have the video input and i would need to direct solder the 20 pin connector on or wire the camera directly to the board. (Like I have any clue to how to that, I cant even make Pop Tarts!) I just added it to my long list of things to do to this vehicle. So with that said has anyone done this solder job and got a back up camera to work on their 2013 Caprice? The dealer can get me the factory camera & Chrome Strip with the camera hole from a 2015 Caprice. I just need the solder job & the cable. Could a set of RCA's be soldered on? Please help my OCD is killing me!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
mercialogo

Re: Back Up Camera for 2013 PPV w/o video input

Post by mercialogo »

I just got my radio back from Chris last night and soldered the plug in. I am very rusty at soldering but did ok. The pins are tiny, i would suggest that if you have never soldered to to take it into someone. The radio is not hard to take apart and yes you could just solder in some rca jacks. I did not go that route as i think installing the radio with those wires hanging out would be next to impossiable. I took a few pics but i am going on vacation so it will take me a week or so to get them posted, but i will explain a little here now.

1. Top of the radio is a cover with 2 screws on the top towards the front and one on the back. On the back you will even see on each corner where to pry to pull that cover up at.
2. With that cover removed you can see the module board that needs to be removed.
There is 1 screw on each side of the radio for that module. Once those screws are removed you can then use a flat screwdriver to pry right where you removed those screws at and the moduled can be removed.
3. That module has a black plate with 4 screws and a series of small clips around the outer edge that holds the plate on. Just remove the 4 screws and carefully pull that plate off.

You know have access to where the 20 pin plug needs to be soldered in.. again i will post some pics in a week or so
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Back Up Camera for 2013 PPV w/o video input

Post by smwalker »

THink it maybe easier, especially since the availability of the 20 pin connector is in short supply, to just solder on some rca cords (2 foot long) and direct them out the back of the unit them cut a hole in the back bracket and feed them though when installing. Trying to have them come out the side is where it will get tricky, but out the back should not be an issue except for clearance in the rear behind the bracket. THink the AC ducting is back there if I remember.

YOu are going to be the pioneer on this one OP!! Do Us proud!! LOL
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White