Analog gauges displayed on the Touchscreen

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
91C02920

Analog gauges displayed on the Touchscreen

Post by 91C02920 »

I so want this when it is ready, if it will be available for our cars!
I just found it on facebook, don't know anything else about it or the company
https://www.facebook.com/jsbperformance ... 0038678016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrashTestDummy

Re: Analog gauges displayed on the Touchscreen

Post by CrashTestDummy »

FINALLY, a use for that screen!! :D
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

that looks interesting.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Folks,

I did some quick checking, according to a reliable source this company has had issues with their products and user satisfaction in the past. Be warned.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks for the head's up. It still looks like it's vaporware, so I'll not be doing anything any time soon. Heck, with all the space where the console should be, I can use my odbII monitoring app on a tablet to get most of those gauges. It would be nice to just have it come on at start, and not be something I have to carry to and from the car, and have to secure and hook up, and hope it works every time. That, and it seems that company's web presence is all from face plant, so I do find that a bit off-putting.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Actually, I was thinking this might be pretty easy to do using the video in and any android device with a video out and Torque, or a Garmin with OBD2 interface and video out.
I don't have either in my car, but in theory it should work pretty easily.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

There's various apps that will do a wireless Bluetooth dump to a smartphone from an OBD-II plugin. I would think that what could work is an old smartphone with one of those apps running, figure out a way to send a streaming video feed from the smartphone to the video screen in the car via one of the video inputs. I've got two Galaxy SII phones that are obsolete that I haven't trashed yet just as an example, the app was running on one of those fine. My program is OBDLink.

There again, that's just my swag on the subject. Readability, update speed, there's a lot of permutations to be reckoned with. I know some smartphones are meant to be docked and will provide video out to a PC....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

elc32955 wrote:There's various apps that will do a wireless Bluetooth dump to a smartphone from an OBD-II plugin. I would think that what could work is an old smartphone with one of those apps running, figure out a way to send a streaming video feed from the smartphone to the video screen in the car via one of the video inputs. I've got two Galaxy SII phones that are obsolete that I haven't trashed yet just as an example, the app was running on one of those fine. My program is OBDLink.

There again, that's just my swag on the subject. Readability, update speed, there's a lot of permutations to be reckoned with. I know some smartphones are meant to be docked and will provide video out to a PC....
The Galaxy SII has hdmi out, you would need to convert it to rca.

Looks like a Tmobile Samsung Vibrant ( SGH-T959 ) can do rca out, tv-out, through the headphone jack with the right cable. The phone seems to be going for about $20 on ebay, cable is probably $4 on amazon. The video out on the rca should just plug into the dvd video in. I've used the app Torque in the past, and liked it for OBD-II on android, I'm sure OBDLink is just as good and would work well.

I'm sure there are other phones that output to rca, the vibrant was just the first one I saw.
And once you do that, you can display whatever on the screen from the phone, including google maps/nav.
Someone has a vid of random stuff from their phone on an alpine head unit- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997kYrCr5MQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems a cheap trick if you already have the dvd inputs on your radio.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That's cool. So you'd plug such a device in, start your engine monitoring app, and then throw it in the glove box?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Seems like this would be rather simple for someone with the right phone and with Chris White programming on their radio as well as the RCA video in to the iQ. For proof of concept, it doesn't have to be an OBD-II dump, it could be anything. Run Blues Brothers from the phone out to the iQ if you want, it's just a video source. If it can display from the phone then you're 99% there. Gene, it COULD be just as simple as what you're saying basically with tossing a phone in the glove box.... but someone has to test. By using a DVD input you'd also get the side benefit of porting your favorite audio in at the same time if you wanted. Any volunteers?

Eric

Oh, one other note.... This would also work probably in MyLink setups (2014 + up cars) as well, as long as you were commandeering a DVD video line into the box. This is of course assuming your radio's been opened up and the safety inhibits are off for watching video while driving.