Clicking from dash accompanied by headlight dimming

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
morrisrh

Clicking from dash accompanied by headlight dimming

Post by morrisrh »

This sounds to me like it might be a relay. Has anyone had a similar problem ? Or could it be another issue such as a bad headlight switch.

Thx, Rick
2011 Caprice 9C1
Rick
Allentown, Pa
2011 Caprice 9C1, black, V8
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Clicking from dash accompanied by headlight dimming

Post by smwalker »

IF you want you can unplug your headlight switch to eliminate it as the culprit. When unplugged I believe headlights just default to on all the time.

BUt no real relays in the switch to click though so I have my doubts.

Have you removed all your upfitter wiring left over after decommission?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
morrisrh

Post by morrisrh »

Steve

Thx for reply.

Right now I don’t have the car to do a detail analysis. My significant other is driving and I won’t get car back until next week.

I have not checked on what upfitting the police did to the vehicle. It does not have spotlights. No electrical issues thus far in 2 years of ownership. Have had problems with replacement keys not working. That’s a separate issue I’ll post.

In the interim, I have checked in service manual. Around page 4-61 it has circuit diagram for headlamps. It appears there may be 3 relays associated with the circuit. One under dash for daytime running lights, and 2 under hood, one for low beams, one for high beams. If this is correct, when I get car back, I will pull each relay and test. I will also pull the headlamp switch and check contacts.

She claims no other lights are dimming, such as interior lights, cluster lights, directional lights. The clicking was happening even when car turned off but headlights on. So right now I am not leaning towards an alternator problem.

Any other ideas welcome.

Rick
Rick
Allentown, Pa
2011 Caprice 9C1, black, V8
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi Guys,

I am experiencing this same clicking/headlight dimming that is discussed in this thread. Only difference is that the clicking continues even when i turn the headlights off. I also noticed that my windows do not work during this time. Did you ever find the cause of your issue and if so, what needed to be done to fix it?

Thanks,

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Have been giving this some more thought, but haven't pulled anything apart yet. It is possible there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness between the drivers door and the body. I have had an issue with the left rear window not going up from the drivers door switch but did operate correctly from the rear door switch. As previously mentioned, no windows work during the clicking (at least from the drivers door controls). Is it possible that the clicking i am hearing is a circuit breaker opening and closing?
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Thanks!
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National