Low beam Headlights seem to

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Car54

Low beam Headlights seem to

Post by Car54 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:11 am

All,

Forgive me if this has been already discussed.

I just got my ‘14 yesterday. Drove to work this morning and now home both in the dark.

Low beam looks like its under 1/2 power IE daytime running lights.

Switch to Hi beam and its nice and bright.

Ive fiddled with the headlight dial, nothing changes.

Suggestions please, and yeah the passenger headlight is all fogged over after the car wash today. Had to ahe was a dirty dirty dirty girl.

HoldOn SV

Re: Low beam Headlights seem to

Post by HoldOn SV » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02 am

If they are actually not switching intensity disregard the following, and consider correcting that 1st:
Sounds like you have some lens seal issues (inherently common and compounded by up-fitted strobes). Factory replacements are around $750 each, but less expensive aftermarkets are available from Australia (if you're willing to gamble on getting them here atm).
I couldn't afford either option this year, and very fortunately the upfitter didn't ruin my lenses installing the strobes. So, I spent half a Saturday restoring mine, which included the following:
Removed the lenses (bumper cover has to come off). Then I removed all the bulbs and projectors, and washed the lenses inside and out. Next, I wet-sanded and polished the lenses. Finally I resealed any suspect areas for moisture intrusion (at the very least the strobes).
Be sure to orient the projectors correctly. See link: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... ematic.svg
2013 L77 9C1
2005 Buick Park Ave.
1958 Plymouth 🚘 Fury (kidding)
2008 Koenigsegg CCGT (dreaming)

Car54

Post by Car54 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:28 pm

I saw your post on what you did. That will be step 2.

My lights DO NOT change in intensity from DRL to Low Beam.

Hi beams work great, just not going to be that moron out there running around with hi beams on all the time.

Any suggestions???

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:58 pm

Once in a great while you have agencies that monkey with the car's wiring to put their own wigwag or flashing setup in independent of the established police wiring upfit points, check for any suspicious splicing or extra wiring in circuit. You can download the Caprice technical manual for your year car in the files section that will give you a breakdown of all the normal police upfit wiring so you can check those circuits as well. From what I read of your symptoms, (Customer states that) the headlights just go into DRL mode from the key on time and do not switch to low beam intensity from either command of the car (photocell at whatever light level it automatically triggers) or manually through the headlight switch. This brings to mind maybe a BCM problem since that's where the actual commands come from to light the lights.

One other suggestion, if you know the agency the car came from go pull the maintenance records on the car to see if this problem existed before the car went onto the sale lot. You can also try talking to the fleet maintenance folks there (if they were self-maintained) to see if maybe there WAS something in the upfitting they can tell you about that might cause this, might be worth the phone call if you luck out & get a decent person on the other end. Don't be surprised if they play dumb or are bad with returning calls though.

This smells like possibly BCM to me however...

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice 3.6, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, otherwise bone stock for now.

Car54

Post by Car54 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:17 am

Bcm not what i was hoping for. Assume its got to go to the dealer. I have no experience with playing with these computers.

I do need to get it in for the seat belt recall and to have 2 keys and fobs programmed

HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:47 am

Car54 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:17 am
Bcm not what i was hoping for. Assume its got to go to the dealer. I have no experience with playing with these computers.

I do need to get it in for the seat belt recall and to have 2 keys and fobs programmed
I'd also consider replacing one of the low beam bulbs for comparison before taking it in.
https://www.autozone.com/collision-body ... 526312_0_0
2013 L77 9C1
2005 Buick Park Ave.
1958 Plymouth 🚘 Fury (kidding)
2008 Koenigsegg CCGT (dreaming)