rear window switches "dead"

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Raunchtastic

rear window switches "dead"

Post by Raunchtastic »

When doing my initial inspection on my car at the dealer, I had noticed the rear window switches weren't connected. I don't mean "unplugged," but rather no physical resistance was given when I went to toggle the switch. I peeled back the door panel just enough to see that there is, in fact, something screwed to the door panel, but doesn't allow the windows to be manipulated from the rear seats. They work no problem from the main panel in the drivers door. I haven't had the door panel off entirely yet, is this a common thing? I would hate to have to replace both window switches right after buying the car, but functionality is obviously important.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: rear window switches "dead"

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm only guessing that there MAY be a programming option to do a "permanent" local switch lockout, considering the type of service it is/was intended for. Check the owner's manual and DIC (Driver Info Center) to see if there is something relatively simple to allow the controls to function normally by a simple option menu selection. These cars have some unique features, and this may be one of those that is programmable via the DIC & Body Control Module (BCM).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Reviewing the owner's manual, there's nothing indicated in DIC regarding window control options. Also, your car does not show as having SEO 6N5, so the only other thing I can think of may be if the rear windows are on a separate fuse circuit (blown or missing fuse?), but that wouldn't make much sense, either. Maybe an upfitter mod requested by the purchasing LE agency.

From Owner's Manual
Pg 2-16
Rear Window Lockout
Press control button to prevent rear seat
passengers from operating the
windows. Press the button again to
turn the feature off.

Rear Power Windows
The rear doors have their own
window switches.
v : Press to open the window.
^ : Press to close the window.

If equipped, see Rear Windows
Inoperative - SEO 6N5 on
page 15‑12 for more information.

Pg 15-12
Rear Windows
Inoperative - SEO 6N5

This feature makes the rear
windows inoperative. The rear
windows can only be operated from
the driver window switch.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Check the rear window lock out switch on the master controls and if that does not do it, I bet the rear windows were disabled for police duty. Should be an easy fix.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

That's what I would think, except that the plastic 'toggle" that you see mounted on the door panel has zero resistance in movement. Imagine a light bulb with a dead fuse; when you toggle the switch the light doesn't come on, but you still get the feedback that "something" should happen. On my rear doors I don't even get that. it seems to me that something is physically not there. I may have to just tear into the door panels to see if something is missing.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Well after reading that information I think the most likely cause is that your window switches were purposely broken or otherwise modified so that they would not work. These cars as well as all of the other new generation police cars are causing quite the learning curve and many police garages across the country If an agency is using this car and chooses to keep the OEM door panels in place rather than replacing them with the steel flat panels this may have been their way of disabling the rear windows if the car was not ordered with the disable feature I found out the hard way last year that you cannot disable these door windows simply by unplugging the switch on the back doors as doing so will cause the windows to not work from the master switch as well as the car thinking that the rear doors are open You're probably going to need new window switches they are easy to replace as the panels come off easy. Also don't be surprised that even after putting new switches in the car still may need to go to a dealership for programming but you probably won't know till you do it
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

9C1fanatic wrote:Well after reading that information I think the most likely cause is that your window switches were purposely broken or otherwise modified so that they would not work.
This was 100% correct. I took of the door panel and found that the toggle in the window switch was purposefully broken. Now I need to find someone who sells these window switches. Anyone know of a part out? There doesn't seem to be an interchange that I can find.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ition=left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

92241078 (right?) and 92241079 (left)

maybe $30 each (new) depending on where you can get them
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Does anyone know if the G8 ones will fit ? Maybe just change out the different color switch?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

smwalker wrote:Does anyone know if the G8 ones will fit ? Maybe just change out the different color switch?
I had wondered the same thing. It's not a pressing matter, so I figured I would wait for a part out on something to get it cheaper potentially.