Caprice 9C1/SS compatability

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Gerome

Re: Caprice 9C1/SS compatability

Post by Gerome »

eagle-co94 wrote:The shifter on the early models is why I fought so hard to get my 9C3. I'm also considering a 6-speed swap further down the road so the 9C3 seemed like the best candidate. The 9C1 shifter looks like such a horrible afterthought and a waste of space.
I see great minds think alike . I so want to have a manual 6 spd conversion done on a caprice . But I didn't want to rip up a 9C3 to do it , I felt the 9C1 would work out better . Sorry if this is a hijack of your thread .
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

No problem. Based on my average knowledge of the Zeta platform, I think a manual swap could be done. 9C1 and 9C3 cars have the shifter hole in the same place. The hole is just capped with a block off plate that contains the shifter cable on the 9C1 cars. Based on the dealership exploded parts views, it seems the SS and likely 9C3 cars also, have an arm that extends below the floor and connects to the trans somehow and the shifter mounts in this large square hole. To me, the hole looks exactly the same as the one found on the floor of a manual equipped Camaro. But mostly since this is an available option on the SS it make me optimistic it can be done on a Caprice, although it may be slightly easier on a 2014 up model.
Attachments
IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG (268.17 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

9C1fanatic wrote:No problem. Based on my average knowledge of the Zeta platform, I think a manual swap could be done. 9C1 and 9C3 cars have the shifter hole in the same place. The hole is just capped with a block off plate that contains the shifter cable on the 9C1 cars. Based on the dealership exploded parts views, it seems the SS and likely 9C3 cars also, have an arm that extends below the floor and connects to the trans somehow and the shifter mounts in this large square hole. To me, the hole looks exactly the same as the one found on the floor of a manual equipped Camaro. But mostly since this is an available option on the SS it make me optimistic it can be done on a Caprice, although it may be slightly easier on a 2014 up model.
That is some really good info for my 6spd swap in the future.
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

The next question is, is there a place for a clutch master? I remember looking (briefly) and not seeing a hole. There may be one on the other side, which doesn't really help.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

The next question is, is there a place for a clutch master? I remember looking (briefly) and not seeing a hole. There may be one on the other side, which doesn't really help.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
gregc

Post by gregc »

Wow this is an old thread. When I converted my 2011 9C1 console to a G8 console, it wasn't a direct fit. The G8 shifter did directly mount to the hole though. The foot parking brake had to be removed and converted to the parking brake handle. The cable that extends to the dash through the floor got in the way of the G8's centered shifter, where as the off centered 9c1 shifter made room for the cable. The reason why the G8 console isn't a direct swap, is because the G8 was a series 1, where as the Caprice PPV was based on a series 2. If you really wanted to have the electronic parking brake, I'm willing to bet that it's just a matter of flashing the BCM and adding the components to work since it shares the dash with an SS.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Since this was the only place it has been mentioned thought I would update this thread with a pic of the electronic parking brake from the SS. It is mounted on top of the rear end cradle on some bracketry welded to the cradle. It has to be perfectly mounted because it butts right up to the charcoal canister that is mounted to the body right above where it sits.

As you can see the wiring is pretty serious with a 16 cavity plug and the unit interfaces with the GM LAN.

Not something that could be added easily.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Since I don't have one, or the FSM for one, how does that thing work? Does it still pull at some sort of e-brake cabling, or does it do something to the diff?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Just uses traditional cables. The two green plastic connectors at the top if the pic are each cables going to each wheel. One cable from the unit pulls on both sides through an equalizer.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White