2013 Driver door removal

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
DGCaprice

2013 Driver door removal

Post by DGCaprice »

Hi,

Wife backed into son's Caprice driver door the other day...good times!

Found a black 2012 door in a you pull it yard.
Looking to remove the door on the donor car but keep the wiring that runs through the hinges intact.

Where is the connector for the door/window/mirror/lock controls located inside the car? Is it behind the panel in the footwell? All I see there is a fuse block and no connector.

I want to unplug this harness and take the door off all in one.

Thanks!
JRWolff

Re: 2013 Driver door removal

Post by JRWolff »

The connectors are just inside the body. They can easily be removed from the outside - The plastic/rubber grommet in the body is removed by pressing inward the tabs (not visible) on top and bottom with a putty knife or similar flat thin object. Once that is free from the body, the wires can be pulled through the hole and then disconnected at the connectors. (BTW - there are two connectors).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

JRWolff
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
DGCaprice

Post by DGCaprice »

Thanks. I removed the grommet but not the plastic behind, that's probably why I couldn't access connectors.

Do you know if the door is easily removed .
I'm seeing just 4 bolts and leaving hinges on the car .
Was reading something about lifting the door off and door side hinges stay ?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

There is a Torx headed screw on the hinge pivot. Just remove it and lift the door off. The only unknown is if the used door will fit on the part of the hinge that remains on the car. Maybe someone on the site has swapped doors without swapping the hinges. Just don’t know if modern manufacturing is that accurate. If you leave the hinge on the car, you may still have to break the hinge bolts on the pillars to adjust the door.
Let us know how it goes, I need to swap a couple of doors on one of my cars.
DGCaprice

Post by DGCaprice »

Will do. Thanks!