Water Intrusion Drivers Side

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
C.addams592

Water Intrusion Drivers Side

Post by C.addams592 »

Since I got my 2013 9C1 about a year ago I have been experiencing water intrusion issues that leaves the driver's side floorboards both front and back soaking wet. After a few months of fixing door and window seals one at a time and having no success I decided to pull up the rubber flooring and remove the soundproofing to see if I could figure out where the water was coming from. On a day when it was raining, I sat in the car and was finally able to see that the water was coming in from behind the fuse box in the driver's footwell. Before I go crazy pulling out trim and the fusebox I wanted to see if anyone could give me any suggestions or had any ideas on where the water could be coming from. The last thing I want to do is pull out all the trim and have it be something easy and simple. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
Sanford

Re: Water Intrusion Drivers Side

Post by Sanford »

I have a 13 that had a water leak on the body seam on the driver side. Pulled the kick panel off and you could see water running down the sheet metal. I was able to get to it by pulling the cowl, wiper motor, hood hinge and a support in that area. Was able to seal it up using some surplus 3M Windo-Weld ribbon sealer and some aluminum tape with butyl adhesive. It took me a while to find this leak. I had looked at all of the usual leak points like the AC drain, moisture barrier on the doors and rubber plugs/grommets on the firewall.
Mine would leak by just running water down the windshield on the driver side bottom corner.
C.addams592

Post by C.addams592 »

Hey, thanks so much for the info it looks like that is exactly where it is coming from. Today I was able to look a little bit deeper into the issue while it was raining and was able to track the water to that area as well. Tomorrow I will pull everything off and try and find exactly where it is coming from and ill be sure to post some pictures and give an update to help whatever poor soul runs into this next.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

This bulletin has the details of the cowl leak:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 3-9999.pdf
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White