Left rear window dropped, won't go back up

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
xten57

Left rear window dropped, won't go back up

Post by xten57 »

Hello, everyone, I hope you're all having a happy new year. I've searched the archives for a solution but found none, so I'm asking the question here.
Yesterday I wanted to close my left rear passenger window and I heard a "snap" or "pop" sound, and the window dropped all the way to the bottom of its normal travel in the track. I got the door panel off today and the only thing that I have been able to determine so far is that there is a cable that seems loose and possibly disconnected near the middle of the door's interior. I can't see the end of it, and I don't know what it does, but I suspect that it has something to to with the window mechanism.

EDIT: I failed to mention earlier that the motor still responds to the window switch, in case that matters. As you can see, I don't know how to properly diagnose that problem beyond "the window doesn't go up or down".

Any ideas on how to get the window mechanism to work properly again? Or, at least get it to stay in the "up" position without using duct tape/

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
Gerry
2013 9C3, metallic black, L77 with headers/X-pipe, DOD delete, cold-air intake, LS3 cam.
GammaFlat

Re: Left rear window dropped, won't go back up

Post by GammaFlat »

Sure sounds like you need parts. There are folks on this forum that have parts cars. ShawnJon82 is one of them. Maybe he can help with parts once your figure out what you need. Other folks will likely be able to help you diagnose what's wrong. I've not had my doors apart (thankfully no reason yet).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

What year you got Gerry?

Sounds like will need a new regulator.

Sometimes you can find a spot on the regulator to put a vice grip to rest the window on in the up position.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xten57

Post by xten57 »

smwalker wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:29 am What year you got Gerry?

Sounds like will need a new regulator.

Sometimes you can find a spot on the regulator to put a vice grip to rest the window on in the up position.
Hi, Steve. It's a 2013 9C3. I think you're right, it's the regulator. I've heard that they're no fun to replace, but it's got to be done. I ordered a new GM part from Rock Auto. It will be here in a couple of days. Until then, the black Gorilla tape is holding it up well and not as obvious as silver duct tape :lol:

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Gerry
2013 9C3, metallic black, L77 with headers/X-pipe, DOD delete, cold-air intake, LS3 cam.
xten57

Post by xten57 »

GammaFlat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:16 pm Sure sounds like you need parts. There are folks on this forum that have parts cars. ShawnJon82 is one of them. Maybe he can help with parts once your figure out what you need. Other folks will likely be able to help you diagnose what's wrong. I've not had my doors apart (thankfully no reason yet).
GammaFlat, thanks for the heads up on the used parts source, they're always good to have available. In this case, I ordered a new one from Rock Auto. I wasn't happy to spend $135 on it, but doing the remove/replace will be even more unpleasant.

Thanks again,

Gerry
Gerry
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

if you cant replace the regulator , with a pop of a can and 20-30 minutes , you shouldnt be working on cars ;)
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Most of the modern regulators are fairly easy to replace. What usually happens is one of the plastic cable guides breaks and the cables get all messed up. Just make sure you get the vapor barrier/plastic gets sealed up good or you will end up with water in the car.
xten57

Post by xten57 »

Sanford wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:56 pm Most of the modern regulators are fairly easy to replace. What usually happens is one of the plastic cable guides breaks and the cables get all messed up. Just make sure you get the vapor barrier/plastic gets sealed up good or you will end up with water in the car.
Thank you, Sanford. I think you're right about the plastic piece, one end of the cable is loose. The new replacement part arrived today, so now I'm looking for a how-to procedure if one is available. I haven't found much on YouTube yet. I'll search this site, too.

Thanks again.
Gerry
xten57

Post by xten57 »

I had some time this morning and so I just did the installation of the new regulator. I got it figured out and the process went pretty smoothly. The window used to be a little clunky before it broke, like it was hanging up at the top when I was lowering it . Now it works better than it ever had, so it was apparently on its way out for a while.

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful input.
Gerry