Functional fender vents

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Burnout

Functional fender vents

Post by Burnout »

I decided to make the vent on my front fender functional. My car arrived without front inner fenders so the vent removal process was not a problem.

I used a small sander to remove the unwanted plastic from the back of the vent and it looks pretty good. Try not to get the plastic too hot or it will melt and the sand paper will stick to the vent it. Ask me how I know.
Attachments
Functional fender vent.
Functional fender vent.
737911C2-917D-4B6B-AD46-F52FA8EDCF43.jpeg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 7583 times
s/c'd cav

Re: Functional fender vents

Post by s/c'd cav »

looks good
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Neat idea and nicely done.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

What does the area behind the vent look like? Does it empty out into the fender liner or more sheet metal?

Very cool idea just concerned about water runoff.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Burnout

Post by Burnout »

Fudgehog. With the inner fender well installed, the hot air from the engine compartment has a convoluted route to the vent. I placed a flashlight in the engine compartment and could see the light in the open vent, so eventually some hot air will reach the vent. I just don't like fake vents. I will find some inner fenders and install them to keep water from splashing from the tires to the vents. Thanks for your interest!
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Very cool and well done. Thanks!
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That is nicely done. I figured the heat from the area behind that panel would vent at the bottom of the fender. It would be interesting to see a video of some tufts of yarn around that opening at speed to see just which direction the air goes.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?