G8 Leather and foam over Caprice PPV frames?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
VintageIron41

G8 Leather and foam over Caprice PPV frames?

Post by VintageIron41 »

Hello and thank you for taking time to read this.

There are a number of threads about G8 seat swaps, from what I have read, the range seems to rung from simple bolt down with loss of airbag and airbag light on dash, to mix and match frame and wiring to gain maximum function and no airbag light.

My question is, can you simply retain the Caprice frames and wiring, and remove the cloth covering, and underlayment foam, and replace with a ( used set ) of G8 leather seat covers and foam underlayment?

The Caprice would be a 2014 if that is a factor in this question.

Thank you!
s/c'd cav

Re: G8 Leather and foam over Caprice PPV frames?

Post by s/c'd cav »

G8 and a 14 caprice are not compatible , only the 11-13 are

the 14-17 ppv are their own , and getting seats to swap from a 14-17 SS sedan are spendy
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Thank you s/c'd. Curious to know my options I just bought a 14 Caprice.

again, thanks!

D
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yeah we do not have many options , ive got a set of the SS seats ill be using because i hate the way the seats adjust , had we gotten the ability to tilt the seat base front and back , i would leave the seats alone
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

What are the differences between the WM and WN front and rear seats? Is it an electrical connector issue ( front ) or are they physically different in bolt to the floor/shape/dimensionally different?

Thank you!
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the floor pan is different , as is the rear seat area

the spacing on the front seat tracks are different , and the rear of the tracks are different , one is bent and other was flat

as well the electronics are different
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Is making adapter plates to mate the floor to rails or drilling new holes in the floor an option based on rail shape?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

our seats have side airbags , and the buckle has a charge in it so that it tightens up the belt in a accident

so you gotta be careful of any mods or changes
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Does anyone have know of a way to confirm year of a set of seats removed from a PPV? I know of a set but the owner is unsure of the year the car they came from. Does anyone know if the seat covers have the air bag stitched to it, or, do the seat covers fit over the side airbags? Am wondering if there is a custom auto upholstery shop that, given a removed set of fabric front seat covers could use them as patterns to make a pair from leather.

Thank you!
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I am pretty sure the airbag is mounted to the seat frame/foam nothing was wired to the seat cover itself, I had mine rolled up to the top but not removed completely when I put a set of seat heater pads under the covers years ago. Its actually a very nice design as far as removal/install, no more hog rings everything just uses velcro and plastic tabs. Would seem like your idea of making a new set of covers would be very doable, maybe something you could shop to the rest of the crew here also? I'm sure plenty of market would exist not only for the replacement leather version but also the take off cloth pieces if they are in decent shape for those inclined to cloth or just budget
This guy seems to say that the G8 stuff would go right onto the PPV frames at least on early version...

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=1097