Splitter, anyone?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Splitter, anyone?

Post by Navy Lifer »

New pictures - splitter mounted to my Alto Gray
installation "in progress" - hope for some outdoor shots soon
installation "in progress" - hope for some outdoor shots soon
split10.JPG (48.56 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
spacer placement - 2 positions in front that attach via fasteners that are used to hold the stock lower deflector in place - still need to identify longer screws
spacer placement - 2 positions in front that attach via fasteners that are used to hold the stock lower deflector in place - still need to identify longer screws
split11.JPG (43.95 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
note that back edge of bumper cover is not perfectly flat, at least on my car - a length of split hose along that edge could provide a seal with no gapping
note that back edge of bumper cover is not perfectly flat, at least on my car - a length of split hose along that edge could provide a seal with no gapping
split12.JPG (40.15 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Update - progress, finalizing mounting

Post by Navy Lifer »

Expecting to complete splitter install this weekend--first event with it on car will be G8 Extravaganza next weekend.

Adding some new trix to the mix.
mounted these air flow channels from 2017 Camaro ZL1
mounted these air flow channels from 2017 Camaro ZL1
split update1.JPG (55.87 KiB) Viewed 12541 times
split update2.JPG
split update2.JPG (45.54 KiB) Viewed 12541 times
split update3.JPG
split update3.JPG (59.07 KiB) Viewed 12541 times
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Wow. That looks really good!
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Splitter--final installation photos

Post by Navy Lifer »

It's done--a few things learned along the way, and it's not an easy task, without help. To that end, MANY thanks go to Scott Walker (novadeuce), his son Alex, and Sandi - Scott's wife and Alex' mom, for their full support of my efforts, use of the lift(s) in their beautiful new garage, and especially the care and feeding Sandi offers to all of us while we play in the ultimate man-cave!

The "no copy" custom grille is on loan from the Walkers for the trip to G8 Extravaganza next weekend. This part alone represents literally hundreds of hours of hand work by Scott.

I took these photos after driving home from Walker's--over an hour away. The car has been both inside & outside over the past month it's been at their house, and it's far from clean and ready for these photos....a good cleaning is due before heading to Valdosta on Friday morning.

The idea and production of this splitter came long before I was aware of the use of the air flow channel strips on the ZL1 Camaro--right or wrong, I decided to go ahead and install them during the process. As I understand it, for the Camaro, these are designed to help move air out from under the car to enhance front downforce in track events. The channels are a combination of plastic mounting strips, and the actual channel projection is rubber. They mount on the underside of the front wheelhouse closeout panels on the ZL1--to the moulded plastic "cloth" material (collects dirt and particulates easily) that has become common today. The effect these parts can have is probably greater with them running closer to the ground than is the case currently with this installation, on SS springs--Camaro ZL1 has less ground clearance by far, even when PPV is lowered from stock to SS height.

Working through several ideas on mounting the channels, and much combing through the McMaster-Carr catalog finally produced an acceptable solution, even though it meant drilling holes through the splitter itself, disturbing the cloth finish layer in multiple places...the splitter is about 0.400" thick, and if there are other solutions, I would need to study the options for awhile to repeat the process and use the ZL1 parts again.

The splitter panel itself is secured to the car both with 4 hard mount points, using M8x1.25 bolts into the front frame/engine cradle structure, and via the 4 additional mounting points between the lower deflector and the front fascia--the 2 center front positions were changed to M6x1.0 with a longer screw (50mm) to reach through the splitter, with 1" spacers installed (visible in one photo) to tie things together with the splitter, bumper cover and lower deflector, which remains in place. My objective was to mount the splitter without any external supports, which I believe is most fitting for a 4-door sedan. If the splitter was extended further out (more aggressive), I would have to reconsider that--the splitter can be made longer, and we decided in the beginning to remain at the length you see here, at least for this original/prototype part--fewer issues with ground clearance in most normal "street" situations.

The front wheel opening deflectors remain a bit of a work in progress, and we hit upon a different idea as to how to implement them after the current design was already set, and depending on how this method survives in the short term, we'll revisit this with another approach.

The splitter still needs to come off one last time to have a clear coat finish applied for better long-term survival from exposure to the elements.

The wheels are those I posted about in another thread - BBS forged, 18x9, +47 offset, weighing 18.3# each.
splitfinal1.JPG
splitfinal1.JPG (46.44 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal2.JPG
splitfinal2.JPG (43.53 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal3.JPG
splitfinal3.JPG (42.38 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal4.JPG
splitfinal4.JPG (42.92 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal5.JPG
splitfinal5.JPG (44.83 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal6.JPG
splitfinal6.JPG (45.62 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal7.JPG
splitfinal7.JPG (43.06 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal8.JPG
splitfinal8.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal9.JPG
splitfinal9.JPG (40.19 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal10.JPG
splitfinal10.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
splitfinal11.JPG
splitfinal11.JPG (48.7 KiB) Viewed 12518 times
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That thing looks awesome, Bill!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
caplt4

Post by caplt4 »

that looks awesome, ok, so the big question, how much for one kit? i imagen it will sell as a kit
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

cap (is it Raul?) - if you have any Facebook presence, and haven't seen it, go here for some added discussion/comment/specifics.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(NOTE: this is a CLOSED group, you have to request access)

It's still a work in progress, honestly, but I do intend to produce some, if the price/demand curves can be brought together at the right place. I'm really not intending to "tease" this along.

Travel, weather, and other unforeseen distractions/obstacles are making progress SLOW at best. Just as an example, the next 2 weeks I'm on the road 9 out of 14 days.

Any Caprice PPV owners that may want to get together in the Midwest--and if you're still (or) a previous Impala SS or Caprice owner--I'll be in Mansfield Ohio 26-30 June for the ISSCA Nationals, and I'll be in the PPV, so you can see the splitter through your own eyes if you can make it there.

Even though ISSCA came into existence via the 94-96 Impala SS, it has been open to all last-generation B & D body (Fleetwood) vehicles from it's formation in late 2000>2001 (ironically well after the end of production), and more recently, the Caprice PPV (WM/WN) cars have been accepted into the group, since the common characterisitic is that all are RWD--PPV would compete in it's own class as far as car show, but I don't know how they might be treated for the other competitive events--autocross, drag race, road course, and audio sound-off--which means a Caprice PPV could potentially earn the BOI (Best of ISSCA) award.
caplt4

Post by caplt4 »

its Ralph, lol, i fallow the link and it says its expire, but if you decided to make some and the price it's not to high, i will in line for one
it's understanding that it's a hobby, not a production line
but it looks great, i like it and want one
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

At least I got the R right....the link isn't expired, but trying to navigate Facebook can be a royal pain, and I wish I was better at it.
Car-o-sexual

Post by Car-o-sexual »

That thing is slick for sure
1998 GMC Sonoma 5.3 swap
1998 Chevrolet camaro
2013 Chevrolet caprice 9c1 dod delete stage 1 tsp cam
2000 chevrolet astro
1957 Chevrolet bel air coupe