New guy with a console question

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Cash_Mayday

New guy with a console question

Post by Cash_Mayday »

Good morning, new guy with a question. I just put in my intro post that I'm doing research before picking one up. Things like how hard parts are to get. My first question is, the one I'm looking at is a '14. Will the G8 console fit or will I need to find an SS console. Seems like the SS might be harder to find. I see the G8 rear seats are not exactly the same. Thanks
Silversled

Re: New guy with a console question

Post by Silversled »

Cash_Mayday wrote:Good morning, new guy with a question. I just put in my intro post that I'm doing research before picking one up. Things like how hard parts are to get. My first question is, the one I'm looking at is a '14. Will the G8 console fit or will I need to find an SS console. Seems like the SS might be harder to find. I see the G8 rear seats are not exactly the same. Thanks
Welcome! The '14 PPV will be common to the '14+ Chevy SS interior and electrical architecture (radio silver box, HVAC controls, and instrument cluster). I've done the dash, instrument cluster, lower center console and doors panels along with the ZL1 suede steering wheel.
Last edited by Silversled on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Cash_Mayday

Post by Cash_Mayday »

That's what I was gathering so far, thank you. Are SS parts like that hard to find/overly expensive? I'm looking to build a poor boy's SS, lol. Also, is there any market for the police stuff? The one I'm looking at still has a lot on it, light bar, laptop mount, all that stuff. Thanks.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

I'm sure there would be some here that like to stay true to the Police theme and want some police equipment if you offered them up for sale.

The SS specific parts like dash and door panels are going to be very difficult to find in the future but there are still enough people wrecking their SS's to source good dashes. The last time I checked, the Chevy SS dash part number was discontinued. Most parts are actually standard GM parts.

Search is your friend but here are my write-ups:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1758

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2090
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Cash_Mayday

Post by Cash_Mayday »

Thanks again, very helpful. So if I pick this this thing up, I'll mostly be looking for Caprice, SS or Commodore VF parts correct? The VE and G8 stuff, most of it wont work on the '14 easily, is that correct?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Cash_Mayday wrote:Thanks again, very helpful. So if I pick this this thing up, I'll mostly be looking for Caprice, SS or Commodore VF parts correct? The VE and G8 stuff, most of it wont work on the '14 easily, is that correct?
Boy that is a loaded question. LOL. The best answer is, "Yes that is true except for common parts with the G8 and Pre-2014 cars". Things like window regulators, exterior trim, lights, and many mechanical items are cross platform. I would not be afraid of the 2014+ cars except that there is probably more familiarity with the pre-2014 cars. To look at it another way, since there are Chevy SS's out there in public, and since the 2014+ PPV's are the last generation, these will be the last parts to become unavailable.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Cash_Mayday

Post by Cash_Mayday »

Again, very helpful info. It's good to know that a lot of the "behind the scenes" parts like window regulators are interchangeable. I'll leave you guy's alone know, Unless I get this this one. I may have plenty more questions then. Thanks.
dirtyd

Post by dirtyd »

Do the SS rear door panels have speaker holes in them? Do they fit 2014-2017 caprices?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

dirtyd wrote:Do the SS rear door panels have speaker holes in them? Do they fit 2014-2017 caprices?
Yes they do have speaker grills but no they will NOT fit. The PPV rear doors are longer than the SS rear doors.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
silentone6429

Post by silentone6429 »

Silversled wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm
dirtyd wrote:Do the SS rear door panels have speaker holes in them? Do they fit 2014-2017 caprices?
Yes they do have speaker grills but no they will NOT fit. The PPV rear doors are longer than the SS rear doors.
Thank you for this answer