Center Console Upgrade

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
tedwards0633

Re: Center Console Upgrade

Post by tedwards0633 »

I have purchased all the parts needed and I have a break down below. Just remember GET THE CENTER SUPPORT FIRST!!!! That is the only part I am waiting on, but without that you are stuck!

CONSOLE PARTS COST

Shifter Boot $63.10
Traction Control Switch $87.26
Shifter $95.00
12V Console $53.32
Console Bezel $75.96
Center Bezel $59.59
Center support $40.61
Center Console $102.00
Power Window Switch $49.67
USB 2.0 Mount $7.69
Center Support $29.60
TOTAL $663.80
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

IM DONE!! Without the center support of course. I have pictures of the build below along with some pointers. BIG thanks to 91C02920 for helping me with the TUTP wiring. (trend link below) no need for programing just have to run two wires patience enough to get under the steering wheel to install. I have got it all hooked up, everything works! Only one casualty, I broke the antenna to the radio. I have some pictures of the finished build, I will upload more once I get everything cleaned up.

Pointers
Make sure when you put the G8 Shifter on it is in park. I moved mine to reverse on the install and it took me a whole day to figure out why my PPV wouldn't start.

When you hook up the new E Brake housing make sure you tighten the screw that goes to the cable all the way, the 9c1 hook up is longer than the G8 placement.

I didn't use any terminals for radio and BCM, just have to remove the lock tabs and get a wire in there, then put the lock tabs back in. I used 14 gauge.

X1 is the first connector on the BCM.
X1 17 is a purple wire going to cruise control. That is also the 12v reference for TUTD. You can splice into it near the BCM and run a wire to position 1 on the shifter plug

X1 20 had nothing in it in my car. Run a wire from X1 20 to position 4 on the shifter connector.

This has the BCM & Wiring info:
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =21&t=1578

This has a pic of the shifter connector:
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 828#p12828

I also wired the traction/trunk button factory according to this thread:
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =21&t=1022

Hope this info helps.

Get the CENTER SUPPORT FIRST!!!! I have mine in without, but I got a lot of gorilla duct tape to hold things together until I get the part off back order.
Attachments
Before
Before
IMG_0443.JPG (52.21 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
After, a little dirty got some snow over the weekend. I decided not to go with the carbon fiber wrap, too many issues. I went with Truck Bed coating which has a texture and color similar to the 9C1 interior,
After, a little dirty got some snow over the weekend. I decided not to go with the carbon fiber wrap, too many issues. I went with Truck Bed coating which has a texture and color similar to the 9C1 interior,
IMG_0560 (2).JPG (87.94 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
IMG_0558 (3).JPG (85.51 KiB) Viewed 11188 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

Here is the finished product I have done the seats as well.
Attachments
Before
Before
IMG_0443.JPG (52.21 KiB) Viewed 11123 times
After
After
IMG_0580.jpg (59.14 KiB) Viewed 11123 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

Great flipping news! I finally got the center support in from the Chevy Dealership. I will upload pictures once I breakdown the console and add the center support.
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I know it has been a while but I have video of the build! Check out the YouTube link below.

https://youtu.be/wZFswHuQW1M
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Good job! This is definitely on my mod list so this will serve me well as a guide.

Your costs were outrageous though. I wonder if it would be worth it for me to buy a complete G8 and part it out. That way I can be sure to have most of the parts from one go and sell everything else. Also wanting to do the seats and possibly carpet so this could be an option for me.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

When I see high mile V6 cars on local craigslist, I can certainly see the advantage of buying the whole damn car once you start to really add up costs of parts.

Thanks for posting vid, this is definitely on my list of things to do, but tracking down second hand items has been proving fairly difficult.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

It got pricey, but I had no means to have a salvage G8 in my driveway the wife would kick my A@$...lol. No doubt that is a good idea. Finding carpet for the PPV is a hard find, I waited to find a PPV with one. That was a headache I didn’t want.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

carpet is easy to find for the caprice , just walk into the dealer and order it up

ive posted the part #s for them
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I have added a video of the complete Interior build.

https://youtu.be/2H0pWZmZoOE