Center Console Upgrade

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
tedwards0633

Center Console Upgrade

Post by tedwards0633 »

I am starting my build on my new caprice PPV and I wanted to add this workflow for those who are looking to upgrade as well. I have a list of parts that I ordered below with a brief description. I have not started the install as I am waiting on the all my parts.

I will update the process with pictures as I get going. This is my Phase 1, which I am at about $300 with the center console, shifter boot, T/C & Sport switch.
Attachments
found this on Redlinegoods.<br />https://www.redlinegoods.com/
found this on Redlinegoods.
https://www.redlinegoods.com/
Capture.JPG (20.87 KiB) Viewed 18410 times
Found this on eBay for $80.
Found this on eBay for $80.
s-l1600.jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 18883 times
I found this website for Salvage yards around the country and was able to find a complete center console off of a 2009 G8<br />on the Partshotlines site.<br />https://www.partshotlines.com/
I found this website for Salvage yards around the country and was able to find a complete center console off of a 2009 G8
on the Partshotlines site.
https://www.partshotlines.com/
Q917A_394471.jpg (5.36 KiB) Viewed 19074 times
Found the shifter on eBay for $90.
Found the shifter on eBay for $90.
s-l200.jpg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 19074 times
was able to order the T/C and Sport Mode off of eBay from Australia... $85
was able to order the T/C and Sport Mode off of eBay from Australia... $85
s-l1600.jpg (2.17 KiB) Viewed 19077 times
Last edited by tedwards0633 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:38 am, edited 7 times in total.
prostreetmike

Re: Center Console Upgrade

Post by prostreetmike »

Following. I have a 2013 Caprice L77 auto car...
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I have stared round two
Last edited by tedwards0633 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I have saved up some more money and purchased 95% of the parts I need, I have them listed below.

I also purchased the connector for the T/C & Sport mode switch using part numbers found on the post
below along with the Center Bezel. I am going to try do without the center support and see if it works. I also have the part numbers that you can purchase the parts on any GM OEM parts site.

I also plan to do a YouTube video on the console removal and install, I will update you all on that once I complete.

Center Bezel: 92268703
T/C Sport Mode switch connector: 13585868

QUICK DISCLAIMER, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I'M DOING BUT I AM VERY GOOD WITH MY HANDS. ONCE I UNDERSTAND HOW THINGS WORK I AM GOOD TO GO, SO THIS WILL BE GOOD LEARNING EXPERIANCE BUILD FOR ALL FIRST TIMERS!

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=1065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Found on GM OEM parts store for $60 w/ shipping.
Found on GM OEM parts store for $60 w/ shipping.
39a26547eca231211d8f2e40601a5f70.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 18848 times
Found on GM OEM parts store for $123 w/ shipping.
Found on GM OEM parts store for $123 w/ shipping.
Capture.JPG (8.9 KiB) Viewed 18848 times
Found this on eBay for $56
Found this on eBay for $56
s-l16004.jpg (2.74 KiB) Viewed 18873 times
Found this on eBay for $10. I will run this with the radio upgrade from White Auto. I will install this in the center console compartment.
Found this on eBay for $10. I will run this with the radio upgrade from White Auto. I will install this in the center console compartment.
s-l16003.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 18873 times
Found this on eBay for $40
Found this on eBay for $40
s-l16001.jpg (4.26 KiB) Viewed 18874 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

Round Three. I have taken apart the donor console I got from the junk yard for the G8 and clean that thing really good. I used Wipe New to add shine and it looks good. I have an update of what I have done so far below.
Attachments
I wrapped all the trim center trim that was sliver in carbon fiber vinyl.
I wrapped all the trim center trim that was sliver in carbon fiber vinyl.
Carbon Fiber Wrap Trim.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
I cleaned the trim pieces and finished with Wipe New.
I cleaned the trim pieces and finished with Wipe New.
Trim.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
This is the center piece fabrication I went with. I used the passenger door window switch. I removed all the electronic controls and cut the trim piece to make it flat. I then taped the back with Gorila Tape and filed the outside with silicon. I then filled with spackle and sanded down to smoothe surface. I will wrap with carbon fiber vinyl a few times and I should be good. I will send an update to the final piece.
This is the center piece fabrication I went with. I used the passenger door window switch. I removed all the electronic controls and cut the trim piece to make it flat. I then taped the back with Gorila Tape and filed the outside with silicon. I then filled with spackle and sanded down to smoothe surface. I will wrap with carbon fiber vinyl a few times and I should be good. I will send an update to the final piece.
Center Piece.jpg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
The view from inside.
The view from inside.
center Cubby 2.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
This is the center bubby that I have added the USB and AUX hook up. There was a hold for the 12V plug, I just removed that and it fit like a glove.
This is the center bubby that I have added the USB and AUX hook up. There was a hold for the 12V plug, I just removed that and it fit like a glove.
center Cubby.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I have my E Brake workflow below.
Attachments
Here is what the E Brake Block looks like after I was done.
Here is what the E Brake Block looks like after I was done.
E Brake Block.jpg (15 KiB) Viewed 18791 times
Here is the E Brake Housing that I got from the donor G8. I have removed the cable extension block and cut it with rotary tool to install on the 9C1 cable.
Here is the E Brake Housing that I got from the donor G8. I have removed the cable extension block and cut it with rotary tool to install on the 9C1 cable.
E Brake.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 18791 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I am done taking out all the 9C1 parts and now will be moving on to install the center console and G8 shifter.
Attachments
View from underneath the car where the shifter screws are located.
View from underneath the car where the shifter screws are located.
Untitled.png (174.16 KiB) Viewed 18750 times
View of E-brake housing. There were four nuts on the side (2 each side) that have to be removed and the piece slide back and out with some elbow grease.
View of E-brake housing. There were four nuts on the side (2 each side) that have to be removed and the piece slide back and out with some elbow grease.
E brake housing.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 18750 times
View of E-Brake cable with adjustment block installed.
View of E-Brake cable with adjustment block installed.
Image-1.png (129.18 KiB) Viewed 18750 times
View of hole where shifter was removed.
View of hole where shifter was removed.
Image-1 (002).jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 18750 times
View from back of center console.
View from back of center console.
Image-1 (002).png (104.06 KiB) Viewed 18750 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

I am near the end of all the things I need to do for the center console and I have done some fabrication to save some money. First of all I did have to purchase the Center Support, no way to upgrade with out it. I had to purchase a shifter boot from Redline as the one I had didn't work. I found a way to use the plugs from the old T/C and Sport Mode switch to the one I ordered for eBay Austria. I have the pictures of what I have done below.
Attachments
Here is the T/C or Sport switch from the old 9C1. If you pry out the plug you use this in the new T/C and Sport Mode switch.
Here is the T/C or Sport switch from the old 9C1. If you pry out the plug you use this in the new T/C and Sport Mode switch.
image.jpg (183.62 KiB) Viewed 18687 times
This is the view from the top of the T/C and Sport Mode switch. I just cut off the top where the connector would go so the one from the 9C1 would fit, but the connector only has connections for 3 pins. I used the other one to connect for the other side, and it fit like a glove. It doesn't look pretty, but out of sight out of mind and saves me $100. The first three pins on the T/C SM switch are used and the 4th is not, the fifth one is sport mode. so...<br />Pin 1 is Power / Remote Pin 2 is Ground, Pin 3 Three is Performance Mode, pin 4 not used, pin 5 is Sport mode.
This is the view from the top of the T/C and Sport Mode switch. I just cut off the top where the connector would go so the one from the 9C1 would fit, but the connector only has connections for 3 pins. I used the other one to connect for the other side, and it fit like a glove. It doesn't look pretty, but out of sight out of mind and saves me $100. The first three pins on the T/C SM switch are used and the 4th is not, the fifth one is sport mode. so...
Pin 1 is Power / Remote Pin 2 is Ground, Pin 3 Three is Performance Mode, pin 4 not used, pin 5 is Sport mode.
IMG_0542.JPG (59.33 KiB) Viewed 18691 times
This is the view from the back of the T/C and Sport Mode switch. I just cut off the top where the connector would go so the one from the 9C1 would fit, but the connector only has connections for 3 pins. I used the other one to connect for the other side, and it fit like a glove. It doesn't look pretty, but out of sight out of mind and saves me $100. The first three pins on the T/C SM switch are used and the 4th is not, the fifth one is sport mode. so...<br />Pin 1 is Power / Remote Pin 2 is Ground, Pin 3 Three is Performance Mode, pin 4 not used, pin 5 is Sport mode.
This is the view from the back of the T/C and Sport Mode switch. I just cut off the top where the connector would go so the one from the 9C1 would fit, but the connector only has connections for 3 pins. I used the other one to connect for the other side, and it fit like a glove. It doesn't look pretty, but out of sight out of mind and saves me $100. The first three pins on the T/C SM switch are used and the 4th is not, the fifth one is sport mode. so...
Pin 1 is Power / Remote Pin 2 is Ground, Pin 3 Three is Performance Mode, pin 4 not used, pin 5 is Sport mode.
IMG_0541.JPG (64.66 KiB) Viewed 18691 times
I have wrap the center console bezel in carbon fiber vinyl and the center window switch.
I have wrap the center console bezel in carbon fiber vinyl and the center window switch.
IMG_0544.JPG (74.91 KiB) Viewed 18700 times
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

Quick update. I have ran into a problem with ordering the center support from GM. Part #92222623 & 92258108 have been discontinued. Part #92261672 is the updated part number, but its on back order and no date in sight. I have placed the order but not sure when I will get the part. So for anyone looking to upgrade the center console make sure you can find the center support first. I have fabricated some things to get it installed now, I will upload those pictures soon.
Attachments
What I did is cut two pieces of wood and screwed them in my 12v tray compartment. I also cut the 9c1 center support where the 12v compartment was. When I put on the center bezel I used gorilla duct tape behind attached to the radio cage to hold in place. This should hold until my center support comes in, when and if.
What I did is cut two pieces of wood and screwed them in my 12v tray compartment. I also cut the 9c1 center support where the 12v compartment was. When I put on the center bezel I used gorilla duct tape behind attached to the radio cage to hold in place. This should hold until my center support comes in, when and if.
IMG_0549.JPG (78.14 KiB) Viewed 18587 times
Last edited by tedwards0633 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Wonder if the plant closure in OZ has anything to do with that? If that's the case, it will get worse for us.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419