G8 skirts/rockers on caprice

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Combatcarl

G8 skirts/rockers on caprice

Post by Combatcarl »

Put them side-by-side and the Lengths looks to be correct wondering if anybody's put the G8 skirts on the caprice or if it's doable.
Attachments
IMG_1810.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG (3.27 MiB) Viewed 13903 times
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: G8 skirts/rockers on caprice

Post by Navy Lifer »

Re-sizing your picture will help others see what you're talking about.

The Caprice PPV rocker panel and G8/SS rocker panel are not the same length--remember, PPV is 3.7" longer wheelbase, with the rear door being where that length is added.

The Holden Caprice (and the Middle East Chevy Caprice) DOES have rocker panels that are similar to those on G8/SS. We brought 2 sets of these over from Australia via Crazy Paul about 4 years ago....no idea if any others were ever brought in.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like I need to re-post some pictures....I may have the GM-Holden PN's for the parts you're asking about.

PPV: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... LWZsZXg%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G8: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... OC1nYXM%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SS: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... wtdjgtZ2Fz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The art work appears to be the same, and G8/SS appear to use the same parts.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Karo brought over 2 pair as well with 2 WN front bumpers. THough indicated he would not not be bringing over any more.

I was thinking the other day if it might be cost effective to have the cut in half to fit in a smaller box and then reassemble them and plastic weld them back together once installed. COuld come over in the same box as a bumper.. Still expensive but not 7 foot long expensive.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Combatcarl

Post by Combatcarl »

I feel like b the time you buy them and cut them and plastic weld them you could probably extend the factory g8 one the 3" (I took a measurement of my G8 side by side and tat was the length difference.)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

you might be able to take a G8 rocker and mate the front of it with your existing PPV rocker, with a strategic cut to make up the length difference--part of the problem is going to be the matter of whether all of the mounting points on the G8 part line up with those on the Caprice.
Holden Caprice rocker panel (3 pictures)
Holden Caprice rocker panel (3 pictures)
rocker1.JPG (33.81 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
rocker2.JPG
rocker2.JPG (32.88 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
rocker3.JPG
rocker3.JPG (32.72 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
4 pictures of inside of rocker panel--note "WM SS" molded into panels, and PN tags
4 pictures of inside of rocker panel--note "WM SS" molded into panels, and PN tags
rocker4.JPG (36.35 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
rocker5.JPG
rocker5.JPG (30.07 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
rocker6.JPG
rocker6.JPG (27.13 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
rocker7.JPG
rocker7.JPG (33.33 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
2014 Chevy SS rocker panel - same part as used on G8
2014 Chevy SS rocker panel - same part as used on G8
rocker8.JPG (43.82 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
G8 rocker panel
G8 rocker panel
rocker9.JPG (34.43 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
PPV rocker panel
PPV rocker panel
rocker10.JPG (41.33 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
Combatcarl

Post by Combatcarl »

I'm lookin into what it takes to plastic weld the ABS stuff. Never messed with it. I can fiberglass like a beast and have a donor g8 to try it on.
Combatcarl

Post by Combatcarl »

My understanding is that group of side skirts that were brought in from Australia are all sold out so getting one of those would be a pain in the butt right?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Combatcarl wrote:My understanding is that group of side skirts that were brought in from Australia are all sold out so getting one of those would be a pain in the butt right?
Yea aside from the 4 sets that have reached our shores, no one has figured out a cost effective method to bring them over yet.

I just happened to take off the rockers on a 2014 this weekend and every last clip broke in doing so. Plan on replacing them all.

I did not like GM's prices on them so luckily my local cips and fasteners supplier has them:

92138808 Black Upper Clips

92138807 White Lower Clips

Need like 9 of each for each side so will have a few extra but still a deal.

Now I just hope all the broken clip ends don't make any noise in the body cavity.

ROCKER PART NUMBERS JUST IN CASE THE PICS GET LOST:
(HOLDEN) 92159862 Rocker skirt WM SS RH
(HOLDEN) 92159861 Rocker skirt WM SS LH

Thanks for taking pics of them Bill, Good forethought!!

Bill you ever post a pic of your installed?

Scotts in Black:
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Combatcarl

Post by Combatcarl »

I'll hit up a buddy and see what I can do to get a set over here. The skirts themselves are roughly $300 a piece I'm seeing plus shipping.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

These are comments from July 2013, when we were working with Crazy Paul to bring some of these parts over. I'm not sure if the mounting parts (clips/retainers) were included with each panel, or if CP added them in--I recall it being the latter, as I think I priced the mounting parts here and found it was much more economical to get them via CP. Steve has identified local/US availability at much better than GM pricing. The cost quoted by CP for the panels may in fact be significantly higher--I don't know what his pricing structure and pass-along was, for what he did, nor do I know what may be happening to Holden parts costs as their parts system transitions from supporting new production spares to strictly service support.

"The actual cost of the pair of mouldings is $290 (plus cost of paint to match), before shipping, and will include a complete set of fasteners (clips, retainers, bolts, screws) even though most of the same parts might be re-usable from the existing mouldings."

This is what we tried to do, but didn't get any takers (again, from July 2013)
"Update on WM Holden Caprice rocker mouldings for PPV:

1. Poll results are inconclusive

2. Cost with shipping via CP (parts cost @ $290/kit) using UPS Air Freight

Pricing is parts cost + shipping (these are CP's numbers):
- 1 kit - $703 (1 kit per car)
- 2 kits - $603/kit
- 3 kits - $577/kit
- 4 kits - $556/kit
- 5 kits - $551/kit
- 6 kits - $544/kit

This would be based on shipping all parts to same location, and then re-shipping to individual buyers."

In the end, we shipped 2 sets of these parts to Scott's (novadeuce) work location at the time, here in GA--it was a quite sizable container which included quite a few other items, so it wasn't wasted space, and I could not tell you what the "actual" cost was, since so many other things were included. The pricing above reflects only shipping the rocker panels in a durable package to ensure safe arrival, one of the things CP obsessed about, for those that ever did business with him.