2014 front bumper not attached on bottom

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
paul54

2014 front bumper not attached on bottom

Post by paul54 »

So, my 2014 showed up today. I had bought it over the net, so I took a bit of a risk I guess! Among the first things noticed is that the bottom of the front bumper is just hanging in space. I think perhaps there was some front end damage and the lower air deflector is not there.

I don't suppose anyone might have a picture of the underside of a 2014 front bumper? Its kind of hard from the parts diagram to tell what is connected to what.

I also need to order some door opening weatherstrips, as they are worn away on the driver's side, probably from all the equipment dragging on the cops utility belt!

Thanks!

Paul
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: 2014 front bumper not attached on bottom

Post by Navy Lifer »

For all years the front bumper cover and lower deflector panel are the same PN's.
bumper cover - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... LWZsZXg%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lower deflector - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... 12OC1mbGV4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bumper1.JPG
bumper1.JPG (46.72 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
bumper2.JPG
bumper2.JPG (35.99 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
bumper3.JPG
bumper3.JPG (38.57 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
bumper4.JPG
bumper4.JPG (56.01 KiB) Viewed 10928 times
[
deflector1.JPG
deflector1.JPG (45.72 KiB) Viewed 10911 times
deflector2.JPG
deflector2.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 10911 times
deflector3.JPG
deflector3.JPG (42.46 KiB) Viewed 10911 times
This is somewhat timely--while these pictures are from several years ago, I've embarked on a process to create a front bumper air splitter/spoiler for the PPV....not anything cheesy, or a simple flat piece of plastic as seems to be common on a number of cars, including G8. This is something I've wanted to do almost since I got the car--so I finally have started working on it.

Today, I took my car to a shop that specializes in this, and watched the machine operator use a CMM (coordinate measuring machine) to create a complete profile of the bumper cover and lower deflector--an amazing process, especially to watch the image appear on a computer screen. From the information collected today, a wood part will be machined for initial test fitting, before the final part is produced from one of several possible composite materials. It will NOT be a molded part, so it will be quite durable.

My contacts assure me that in addition to enhancing appearance, it will definitely serve an aerodynamic purpose & benefit.

More information when we have some prototype parts to work with--I'll start a new thread at some point to talk in much greater detail about this project.

Yes, it will be possible to make enough of these for everyone that may want one.

No, I have zero cost information at this point. The size of the order should have some "positive" effect on the individual cost, once we get to that point.

FWIW, the company has never mapped the nose of a G8 or an SS sedan, and would be interested in doing so. I'll work on that later, but for now, I want to see what can be done with the PPV--something we can have as a "first" before our SWB sedan brethren!

BTW - some of you will notice something in one of these photos that does not show up much on the PPV--I'll leave it to the sharp-eyed among you to point it out.

BTW #2 - the messed up look of the paint on the underside of the bumper cover is actually a reflection from the floor of the shop where I took these pictures.
kevink

Post by kevink »

Navy Lifer wrote:BTW - some of you will notice something in one of these photos that does not show up much on the PPV--I'll leave it to the sharp-eyed among you to point it out.
The mesh whatever it is in the lower bumper cover opening. I was going to say the plastic pan between the cross member and the trans pan, but that was shown in two photos.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I didn't even think about the grille, since it doesn't show up well in that picture--the fogs went on at the same time in June 2013 when that grille insert was installed--it just didn't show well in the picture.
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The panel/shield under the oil pan is what I was originally referring to.
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... pan+shield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good eye!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

So those 4 screw pockets you see at the bottom of the bumper go into the underpanel. So the panel tucks into and rests inside the bumper. If yours is hanging down might be broken or someone really installed it wrong.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Thank you so much for this! The entire panel is missing, just a lot of air there. My concern is, and I will get someone smarter than me to look at it, is that it was in a front end crash, and the subframe is not perfect, so the lower panel did not fit and they tossed it.

There is no evidence of torn or ripped out holes on the bumper itself.

Again, great photos.

Paul
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Added 3 more pictures to the original post.

The lower deflector is an integral part of the bumper cover integrity and proper cooling system air flow. Hopefully you can figure out what is needed to make things right.
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Also, it seems there are a ton of "gmpartsdirect" and similar sites. Anyone in particular that you recommend? Shipping rates seem out of control! Maybe I'll try the dealer.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Let me make a plea here.....I realize these forums are intended to allow people to have some degree of anonymity--as much or as little as they desire/prefer. Still, it is helpful to know someone's location, as owners around the country may be in a position to help with various needs, including parts, or connections/assistance with a dealer, etc.

As far as the various online parts sources, I typically use GMPD for reference info only. Some are better, perhaps friendlier than others, and you could spend all day searching through the internet for many dealers offering this service--I know there are dealer parts sites that offer better parts detail than others. Each one, with an online shopping cart system, has to have a way to build in shipping cost....it's the price we pay for convenience, or out of necessity, if (your) location happens to be remote.

In the case of a somewhat bulky part like the lower deflector, shipping cost is always going to be a concern, and since a local dealer doesn't pass along a "to your door" cost, if you go to their physical location, the total outlay for a new part should be less if you can pick it up at the dealer--and always ask for a discount. Today, I find most dealer parts guys are willing to work with customers who are working on their own cars, since they know it's possible for you to take your business down the road (or just go online), rather than spend your money locally.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

paul54 wrote:So, my 2014 showed up today. I had bought it over the net, so I took a bit of a risk I guess! Among the first things noticed is that the bottom of the front bumper is just hanging in space. I think perhaps there was some front end damage and the lower air deflector is not there.

Thanks!

Paul
Welcome to my world. this is how mine arrived.
Attachments
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG (119.4 KiB) Viewed 10906 times
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG (188.47 KiB) Viewed 10906 times
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG (213.09 KiB) Viewed 10906 times
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1