painted grille bezel

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

painted grille bezel

Post by Navy Lifer »

Finally installed the painted grille bezel....this is how the Middle East Caprice SS is done, but with a different Bowtie grille--has a cross-bar.

Not sure what colors are offered on that model, and it may matter, as some colors are better for this treatment...will appreciate your comments on this version/color.

The paint actually is a good match--the contour of the bezel and the location of the sun makes the finish look flat compared to the surrounding sheet metal, but it's good.

Sorry I didn't take more pictures with the assembly removed and apart. It's really pretty easy--7 nuts and the entire thing comes out--grille, bezel, and rubber seal. 6 small Phillips head screws and several plastic "snap" tabs later, everything is completely apart, except for the bowtie emblem.
Troutman

Re: painted grille bezel

Post by Troutman »

Excellent work! Yet another innovative first. :D

Colours for the SS seem to be similar to the Holden, which you'll find in my brochure scan.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

I was thinking of doing the same for my black 9C3 using the 3M 1080G Black metallic wrap film a near exsact match for the paint.

I blacked out the bow tie on the grill and chrome strip on the back. Removed the bow tie and caprice badging on the back but am thinking of buying a new bowtie blacking it out and reinstalling.
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

here is the ass end
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Auxiliary light source? What are they mounted to? How are you powering them--separate switch, relay, independently controlled, or through the existing headlamp circuit?

Looking at a similar approach myself, even though I've already got the GM/Holden fogs.
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

Bill

I must confess that I had a local upfitter do most of the work. We used the existing wiring and added two switches. One for the driving lights and the other for the backflasher option. They were able to use the bcm and internal relays to trigger everything. I spent a good part of the time upside down in the trunk installing the locking slide tray. Photos of the tray later.

Regards

Andy Simmons
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Browsing a PPV parts list recently, I came across a PN for an unpainted (as opposed to chrome) grille bezel - PN is 92199718.

Turns out that the part WAS available in the US up until Jul 2012. It is the same part used on ME Caprice SS (with no divider bar). No inventory in US, but CP can get it.
97CAIVIAROSS

Post by 97CAIVIAROSS »

Bill
I know my reply is alittle late but the painted grille looks a lot better then the chrome in my opinion. Nice mod!

Also the blacked out bowtie and rear bar look good on your car too Andy. I plan on plasti dipping my bow tie chrome grille surround and rear bar. I can't do anything permanent since if is not mine. Atleast your pics give me an idea of how it will look.

Derek
2009 Tahoe SSV 4x4 soon to be 2012 Caprice PPV Black/Black - DD/Work
1997 Camaro SS #1925 6spd -Cam/exhaust suspension etc
1967 Camaro SS 350 numbers matching being restored/Not stock
2003 Silverado 1500HD - Driveway Statue
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Derek,

First welcome aboard!

I think in time more of these parts will get painted.

In fact, I've got a couple of the non-chrome bezels waiting for me at the USPS locally.

Yes, I'm a parts whore! :) 8-)