steering wheel swap

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

steering wheel swap

Post by Navy Lifer »

More to illustrate later, but I've had a used G8 sport wheel re-covered and will be installing it soon. Wheel came from Cleveland Pick-A-Part, bought late last year--everything but the airbag.

The platinum covers are not available in US. Got them via C.P., PN 92243953
bkwagonss

Re: steering wheel swap

Post by bkwagonss »

Looks good Bill, does our switches and air bag fit in that wheel?
That's the G8 GT wheel, correct?
The sportier GXP wheel has a flat bottom.

Do you (or anyone) know how to take the silver switch trim off?

I was looking into a custom leather cover.
You can order any color you want, plus parts can be had in different colors or perforated.
I've put nice sew-on cover before, but with this one you have to take the wheel apart and take it off the car.
I wanted to get the nicest wheel cover I could without taking it off the car.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Barry, the G8 wheel I'm using is the Sport "flat bottom" (RPO NK4) version, although I think the new (2014) wheel is even more exaggerated as far as the flat section--and/or may also be slightly smaller in diameter compared to previous applications (for electric steering?). I do not know if the NK4 & GXP wheels (N36?) differ as far as shape.

http://cdn.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/ ... 16x625.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wheel I purchased was fully assembled, and I figured out how to take it apart. I have not tackled the PPV (vinyl) wheel yet, but I'm pretty sure it's similar as far as the switches.

It's a careful process to get the actual controls released from their bezels, but it can be done! These are the controls that came with the G8 wheel.
I'll add more photos as I do the actual swap.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Bill, there's an excellent FAQ on Matti's site on the steering wheel swap process, I used it when I swapped my wheel a few months back. Here's the linky to all of his FAQ's:

http://www.carmodder.com/search_doc.php ... odel_id=90

We owe this man a really NICE steak dinner (and not at Outback either!...lol...)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

I bought the same leather G8 wheel on eBay for $120 shipped and installed it tonight. I do not know what colour the interior was of the OP, but it looks great in mine with black and silver trim. I did not change out the controls or swap the silver trim. I can deal with red back lighting, so I left it alone. There is no need to go over how to install it as that has been taken care of, however these steering wheels have a larger key in the teeth. So you do not need to mark it or worry about not putting it in the right place as the larger tooth prevents that. Same as when I did this wheel swap on my Tahoe for a leather wheel.

Here are some pictures, the silver fits well with my interior.
P1015362.jpg
P1015362.jpg (214.97 KiB) Viewed 21653 times
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Another pic from a distance. Looks good with the Panasonic laptop and nice that the near $1000 console was left in there when I bought it.
P1015365.jpg
P1015365.jpg (184.36 KiB) Viewed 21653 times
Crazy Paul

Post by Crazy Paul »

K9Vic wrote:Here are some pictures, the silver fits well with my interior.
The G8 interior bright silver is called Micro Silver.
The Series2 VE & WM cars (including USA PPV Caprice) have a slightly different bright silver interior, it's called Platinum Silver.
Under some light conditions the Platinum looks similar to Micro Silver, other times not.

K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Thanks for the info Paul.

It looks fine to me and that is what matters in my opinion. My Tahoe wheel is not perfect match and I have used it for 2 years and just had to have a leather wheel on the Caprice. The camera flash makes it look brighter, but it is not as noticeable in person.
P1015207aa.jpg
P1015207aa.jpg (161.85 KiB) Viewed 21646 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Nice Havis console setup, you did luck out! Hopefully you get some use out of the laptop/mount.... perfect perfect setup for running HP Tuners live!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

elc32955 wrote:Nice Havis console setup, you did luck out! Hopefully you get some use out of the laptop/mount.... perfect perfect setup for running HP Tuners live!

Eric
Yes, exactly and in Texas that is technically legal to have live while driving to monitor vehicle statistics per how the code is written. It is vague in the Texas code, but is no different over a LCD display digital dash.