It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS Dash

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Silversled

Re: It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS D

Post by Silversled »

9C1fanatic wrote:Your car looks awesome. I really want to do this to mine. I looked into it a while back and it didn't seem too expensive to buy a new console for the SS at the parts department but then again, there were a lot of individual parts needed so Im sure it adds up. Were you unable to get the shifter from the wreck or was it a manual trans car? After hearing what you said, I kind of think maybe I should order a new shifter now just to make sure I have it when if I get a console/dash. Sounds like its the hardest part to get ahold of.

Was the instrument cluster plug and play and did all features work including the temp gauge?

Really nice work.
Thanks.

I got lucky with all the parts from a new SS. However if someone wanted to do this on the cheap, they could buy a used complete floor (center) console for about $250 and just buy the SS dash cover, dash-windshield foam seal , and HUD trim piece from GM. Everything else from fasteners, airbag covers, trim panels, vents, etc. should transfer directly from the 2014+ PPV. The only other parts needed are:

NOTE the new dash number is 92277354.

As for the shifter, my dash came from a manual car. I cancelled my order for now. I started to like the uninterrupted lines of the floor console. I've been thinking of making a large storage pocket where the shifter normally is.
Last edited by Silversled on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

9C1fanatic wrote: Was the instrument cluster plug and play and did all features work including the temp gauge?

Really nice work.
My Instrument cluster info is here :

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1588
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Silversled, how/where did you source the SS dash and console parts? I saw what you wrote above, but interested in how you came upon the opportunity? And......about how much?
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

SBRMD wrote:Silversled, how/where did you source the SS dash and console parts? I saw what you wrote above, but interested in how you came upon the opportunity? And......about how much?
Just saw one on Ebay from a seller I purchased a headlight switch from:

http://stores.ebay.com/hawksthirdgenera ... hevy+ss%22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They got all the parts listed separately but they may make you a deal if you by a bunch of stuff.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

SBRMD wrote:Silversled, how/where did you source the SS dash and console parts? I saw what you wrote above, but interested in how you came upon the opportunity? And......about how much?
SBRMD,
I got really lucky with my parts. After a lot of research to confirm the commonality of parts between the Chevy SS and Caprice, I started pricing new SS parts. I was surfing car-parts.com one night and happen to see these parts from a nearly zero mile 2015 SS that was totaled when the underbody was damaged during transporting to/from a dealer. I called them the next morning and bought the entire dash and console including the IPC (gauges). The glovebox still had the dealer installed airbag info flag.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

mmmmm.....pistachios (first picture)!

Did you (not) consider using the SS steering wheel to add the paddle shift feature?

Is there a Sport mode with the "column" shift PPV?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Navy Lifer wrote:mmmmm.....pistachios (first picture)!

Did you (not) consider using the SS steering wheel to add the paddle shift feature?

Is there a Sport mode with the "column" shift PPV?

Pistachios.. I have a problem. Don't judge me! LOL.

Yes the column shift has a sports mode. Most of my cars have suede steering wheels so I'll be installing a ZL1 wheel. My focus is starting a cam swap and DOD delete first though.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Does sport mode show on the dash as a digital representation ("S4, S5, etc" to show what gear you're in) like it does in a 2011-13 car? Also, is there anyway to sort-of paddle-shift/select gears like on a 2011 93c? Or is it just what you do with the accelerator?

Thanks for the education!
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

SBRMD wrote:Does sport mode show on the dash as a digital representation ("S4, S5, etc" to show what gear you're in) like it does in a 2011-13 car? Also, is there anyway to sort-of paddle-shift/select gears like on a 2011 93c? Or is it just what you do with the accelerator?

Thanks for the education!
I'm running a Chevy SS dash but I'm pretty sure the stock dash does the same on the 2014+ cars. I've forgotten how the original cluster looks. My dash only shows "S" in place of the "D" when in sports mode. In stock trim, I cannot manually select gears but being essentially a 2014 Chevy SS, I'm sure it can be programmed in.

2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Silversled, have read your postings several times, may have use of your experience soon...

A few more questions:

1. Did you ever price out a new console? How much, and did it come all together, or did it require a bunch of little additional parts to be complete?

2. When you removed the original "cop-spec" console, was the piece that caps the "hacked" portion of the PPV dash connected to that console, or was it a separate piece? In other words, wondering if one could leave that "cap" over the hacked part, so that even with the discontinuity, one maybe could use the SS console with the std PPV dash with looking too hacked-up.

3. Didn't completely understand about the parking brake bracket/heat duct issue: doesn't a '14-'17 car have an old-school step-on parking brake at your left foot? What's left over in the console?

also, on a different but related note: are you still running the original rear door panels, or did you do something to get some stereo speakers in those?

Thanks again for the continuing education. If you lived closer to me, would be tempted to try to hire you to do the whole trick (dash and console) over again!
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN