9C1 Console Installation 2011-'13

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
PPV

9C1 Console Installation 2011-'13

Post by PPV »

After recently completing a console install on my 2013 PPV I figured I would do a thread to show others some of the steps involved and what parts are needed. Now this is just my approach and others may have a different way of going about it and I encourage them to add their comments. Keep in mind that my install was a '13 and the '11-'12 cars may have some slight differences. I also tried to minimize modifications that cut wires and don't appear factory while preserving the 9C1 functions.

First off there are four basic differences between the 9C1 and 9C3 cars that need to be addressed as part of the console install.
- The shifter: 9C3 has P, N, R, D with tap shift and the 9C1 has P, R, N, D, L with a sport mode switch.
- The 9C3 has a hand parking brake and the 9C1 has a foot operated parking brake.
- The 9C3 has a combination traction control (tc) - trunk release switch and the 9C1 has separate switches.
- The 9C3 has the window/side view mirror switches in the console and the 9C1 has them in the doors.

I will expand on each but this is how I addressed these issues:
- The G8 shifter was modified to go into a low position and prevent it from going into tap shift.
- Hand parking brake from the G8 must be used because the 9C1 parking break setup interferes with the console base.
- Trunk, tc and sport switches. Since the 2013 caprice doesn't have a spot in the glovebox for the trunk release button I needed to find an alternat location. The G8 trunk switch fits nicely behind the 12v liter outlet. I believe the '11&'12 cars have a spot in the glove box. The tc and sport switch was sourced from Australia.
- The power window/side view mirror switch was left in the stock 9C1 locations because I like them in the doors, didn't want to modify the stock wiring harness and going to install a heated seat and exhaust cutout switches in the center location.

Btw, got to give Steve walker credit for helping out with the wiring for this project!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (131.14 KiB) Viewed 24359 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (161.21 KiB) Viewed 24359 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (190.29 KiB) Viewed 24359 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (480.1 KiB) Viewed 24423 times
Last edited by PPV on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - triple black
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - Red w/ black gut & top
1970 Convertible Mont Carlo - Sold
1968 K10 short wheel base
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
2013 CTS-V Coupe Silver Frost Matte Eddition
2017 SS - PBM - M6 - Roof - Sold
2019 Silverado 1500 - LTZ 6.2
PPV

Re: 9C1 Console Installation 2011-'13

Post by PPV »

Now for the parts needed. The best approach to save yourself money is to try and find the bulk of the parts from a salvage yard that are common with the G8. The rest will be new GM from the US and some sourced from down under. I'd recommend Crazy Paul for the parts from down under.

Below is a schematic of the console and the parts you will need from a salvage yard G8 are as follows:

Btw: don't forget to ask for the 4 mounting bolts that hold the parking brake in place.
Attachments
1 through 10 and 13 through 17. The panels shown as 12 are the same as the 9C1 so they can be reused.
1 through 10 and 13 through 17. The panels shown as 12 are the same as the 9C1 so they can be reused.
image.jpeg (92.62 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
Don't forget the storage/12v receptacle section.
Don't forget the storage/12v receptacle section.
image.jpeg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
The only G8 part from the shifter assembly you really need is the shifter housing itself, item 1. The rest of the parts aren't needed or could be taken from the 9C1 shifter. Chances are you will get a complete assembly from a salvage yard.
The only G8 part from the shifter assembly you really need is the shifter housing itself, item 1. The rest of the parts aren't needed or could be taken from the 9C1 shifter. Chances are you will get a complete assembly from a salvage yard.
image.jpeg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
When sourcing the parts from the salvage yard ask them for the harness plug that is used for the traction control switch. They often don't like cutting a harness but it will save you money in the new parts bin if you can get it. Here is a photo of it.
When sourcing the parts from the salvage yard ask them for the harness plug that is used for the traction control switch. They often don't like cutting a harness but it will save you money in the new parts bin if you can get it. Here is a photo of it.
image.jpeg (349.17 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
Last edited by PPV on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
PPV

Post by PPV »

Now for the new GM 9C3 parts. Only 4 parts are needed. Center support, center bezel, front parking break cable and harness plug. Hopefully you can eliminate the the last two items if you can get them from a salvage yard. Note if you get the G8 parking brake end adjusting block from the salvage yard you will not need to replace your 9C1 cable, just add the adjusting block to it. If not order the front cable for a 9C3 which already has the adjusting block on its end and is longer than the G8 version since the PPV has a longer wheel base. You can also eliminate the harness plug if you can get it from a salvage yard.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (236.47 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (206.56 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (174.14 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
PPV

Post by PPV »

Now for the parts from down under. You need 4 items. The sport-tc switch, manual transmission shifter bezel, boot and boot retainer. The manual transmission components are needed because the shifter mods will allow the sifter to travel different from the auto with tap shift And you can't run the auto trim with the shifter position indicator. The manual boot accommodates the 9C1 shift positions.

A tip if you want to avoid sourcing items from Australia is the boot and boot retainer can be purchased new from a US GM dealer under a G8 GXP manual transmission. The bezel is a series 2 so it has to come from down under as the G8 is a series 1. The other thing to note is the 9C3 trunk-tc switch is a momentary switch and functions exactly the same as the sport-tc switch from a Holden. So you could use the trunk switch as the sport or just relocate the sport button using a generic momentary switch.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (589.28 KiB) Viewed 24420 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.49 KiB) Viewed 24420 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (319.7 KiB) Viewed 24421 times
image.png
image.png (1.99 MiB) Viewed 24421 times
Last edited by PPV on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
PPV

Post by PPV »

For the most part this is a complete list of parts needed. In the next couple of days I'll detail out the mods to the switches, shifter, parking brake cable and parking break light.

Btw You will also want a trunk button and harness from a G8.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.76 KiB) Viewed 24420 times
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

PPV wrote:After recently completing a console install on my 2013 PPV I figured I would do a thread to show others some of the steps involved and what parts are needed. Now this is just my approach and others may have a different way of going about it and I encourage them to add their comments.
- The G8 shifter was modified to go into a low position and prevent it from going into tap shift.
- Hand parking brake from the G8 must be used because the 9C1 parking break setup interferes with the console base.
- Trunk, tc and sport switches. Since the 2013 caprice doesn't have a spot in the glovebox for the trunk release button I needed to find an alternat location. The G8 trunk switch fits nicely behind the 12v liter outlet. I believe the '11&'12 cars have a spot in the glove box. The tc and sport switch was sourced from Australia.
- The power window/side view mirror switch was left in the stock 9C1 locations because I like them in the doors, didn't want to modify the stock wiring harness and going to install a heated seat and exhaust cutout switches in the center location.
Nice summary of your effort. I've done some things that get into this area, too, but on a 9C3, so it's not been nearly as complex.

Questions & comments:

You purposely did not want a tap-shift option, or is there a program issue with 9C1?

Stick-shift bezel from GXP--only in black? Are you keeping it that color, or any plan to refinish?
It does make for a nice look with the boot rather than the handle sticking up and the flat trim plate.

There is a "smoker's pack" unit available (from CP) that provides a nice spring-loaded and damped motion cover, providing a clean/finished appearance for the pocket in front of the shifter where the 12V outlet (and your trunk release) is located--have you considered adding that?

Interesting that a 1-year change was made that took away the trunk-release button provision (capability) inside the globe compartment for 2013.

G8 has a 3-switch assembly that fits the shift cover bezel with (2) seat heater buttons and the traction control select button in center--it dictates moving the trunk release, as you have done or to glove compartment in 11/12 cars--FYI for anyone attempting to install G8 seats with heaters. Getting the harness for this (from a salvage car) would be essential, as piecing it together might be very difficult and pricey.

Unless I missed something, G8 & 9C3 park brake are the same--or is there something unique about the G8 lever that makes it compatible with the console pieces you acquired vs 9C3? Maybe you've sourced your parts from a G8, and just wanted it understood that to convert to hand park brake, (which I assume you wanted to get rid of the foot brake, perhaps for better footwell room), that the lever was needed to complete the job and fill in that gap on the left side of the console. Had you thought about getting the RHD console "grab handle" filler piece for the left side of the console and leaving the foot-activated park brake? Not sure that it's even possible to do that....

The 9C3 (and G8) center console window/mirror switch arrangement is a little awkward, since a far greater number of vehicles have them on the door(s), and it's not easy to re-train habitual conditioning to reach for the door to operate windows or mirrors, going from one vehicle to another--it will be interesting to see how your panel insert works out.

Good work, and I'm looking forward to your next update!
PPV

Post by PPV »

Thanks, I'm not much of a writer but I think it gets the point across. Below are some answers/responses to your comments.

Questions & comments:

You purposely did not want a tap-shift option, or is there a program issue with 9C1? - To the best of my knowledge the 9C1 doesn't have the correct wires leading to the shifter but I bet the existing sport wire could be repined at the BCM but I didn't put the effort into it. If I was to do tap shift it would go on the wheel like others in the g8 forums have. The BCM could easily be reprogrammed if needed.

Stick-shift bezel from GXP--only in black? Are you keeping it that color, or any plan to refinish?
It does make for a nice look with the boot rather than the handle sticking up and the flat trim plate. - the GXP shift plate is a series 1 dash and can't be used as it is flatter and longer. The correct series 2 plate is shorter and curved. The plate needs to come from Australia for a series 2 manual shift car. It's not available in platinum which the PPV is. Many other colors are available though. I went with onyx black because I hope to convert the interior over to the onyx.

There is a "smoker's pack" unit available (from CP) that provides a nice spring-loaded and damped motion cover, providing a clean/finished appearance for the pocket in front of the shifter where the 12V outlet (and your trunk release) is located--have you considered adding that?- I've seen the smokers pack but decided not to go with it. I like the open look.

Interesting that a 1-year change was made that took away the trunk-release button provision (capability) inside the globe compartment for 2013. - yup and they eliminated the locking glove box too.

G8 has a 3-switch assembly that fits the shift cover bezel with (2) seat heater buttons and the traction control select button in center--it dictates moving the trunk release, as you have done or to glove compartment in 11/12 cars--FYI for anyone attempting to install G8 seats with heaters. Getting the harness for this (from a salvage car) would be essential, as piecing it together might be very difficult and pricey. - that would be interesting is the triple heater switch could be reused for heated seats.

Unless I missed something, G8 & 9C3 park brake are the same--or is there something unique about the G8 lever that makes it compatible with the console pieces you acquired vs 9C3? Maybe you've sourced your parts from a G8, and just wanted it understood that to convert to hand park brake, (which I assume you wanted to get rid of the foot brake, perhaps for better footwell room), that the lever was needed to complete the job and fill in that gap on the left side of the console. Had you thought about getting the RHD console "grab handle" filler piece for the left side of the console and leaving the foot-activated park brake? Not sure that it's even possible to do that....- the 9C3 and g8 parking brake is the same setup except for the length of the forward cable that attaches to the handle mechanism. You can't use the 9C1 foot pedal setup with a center console so it's a necessary change.

The 9C3 (and G8) center console window/mirror switch arrangement is a little awkward, since a far greater number of vehicles have them on the door(s), and it's not easy to re-train habitual conditioning to reach for the door to operate windows or mirrors, going from one vehicle to another--it will be interesting to see how your panel insert works out. - working on a nice insert and will share it when it's done.
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
PPV

Post by PPV »

Once you get all your parts it's time to start. Just remember to take your time disassembling. The parts are plastic and designed to snap together on an assembly line and can break very easily when removed. Use plastic pry tools only.

First thing is to disconnect the negative battery cable and put the car up on jack stands to access beneath. Play it safe and take all the standard safety precautions.

One of the first thing you need to do is unplug the tc, sport and trunk buttons. To release the plugs use a small screwdriver placed between the plug and switch on the gm symbol side and pull to separate.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (389.99 KiB) Viewed 24381 times
The shifter bolts are removed from beneath the car.
The shifter bolts are removed from beneath the car.
image.jpeg (375.44 KiB) Viewed 24381 times
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
PPV

Post by PPV »

Because the 9C1 doesn't have the tap shift wires at the shifter (from what I can tell) I modified the G8 shifter to not go into tap shift position and extend the shift position to allow the shifter to go into low.

I had to cut the shifter housing to allow more travel and notch to allow the shifter pin to hold in low and push the button to go from drive to low. It's easily done with a dermal tool. To find the center position for low it was necessary to install the shifter tighten the shifter rod when both transmission and shifter are in park. Then shift into low and find where the pin should sit.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (202.77 KiB) Viewed 24380 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (219.73 KiB) Viewed 24380 times
Last edited by PPV on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
PPV

Post by PPV »

Then I made a plate to prevent the shifter from going into tap shift position and limit the travel beyond low. You will not be able to use the stock G8 shift indicator trim as it limits the travel into low and the plate as shown will not allow it to fit on the shifter housing. That's ok since you can run the shifter boot from a manual transmission setup.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (195.04 KiB) Viewed 24379 times
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold