Ceramic coating

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
amx1pxp

Ceramic coating

Post by amx1pxp »

Anyone have any experience with ceramic coatings? Are they the real deal? Worth the $$?
Turbopowered68

Re: Ceramic coating

Post by Turbopowered68 »

i had my headers done on a turbo car and it lasted about 2years
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to a new kind of product I've seen advertised a lot. It's supposed to be a kind of bulletproof wax alternative for a car's exterior. Lasts forever! (maybe just a really long time). Wondering if anyone has tried it...
Badnacho

Post by Badnacho »

I just did the Adam's ceramic graphene coating on my 2019 Subaru back around Christmas time, and it is hard to say if it is worth it at this time. I will say even on a 2019 it is a lot of prep work and you need a controlled environment. I ran out of time and was only able to do one coat. If you commit to it make sure you have time for a second coat. Also I did not do a perfect job and there are spots you can tell its a little thick (the paint is a slightly different color). I think overall it is a great way to protect your car especially if you tend to neglect it for extended periods of time.

Check out Scott H. on YouTube. He tests all of the detailing products and does extended reviews of them (even a year later). Some of the highly marketed and expensive products don't always hold up that well. https://youtu.be/QHZoHkJ-fnE. Right now graphene is the hot product so check those out.
2011 9C1 with 9C3 options
95 Talon TSi AWD
Location Northern Va
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I have now seen a few co workers who got this sold to them by a new car dealer, one even takes his car to the dealer where they have a drive through car wash and it was some package deal for a year. After the 1 year I can tell these guys barely do anything for their cars besides something like a drive through cheapo wash and their cars don't look new anymore, very clearly scratched etc. Its very obvious to me the people who do their own wax/polish even on cars 10+ years old. I've watch the youtube videos I can't really believe its worth it when there are so many great cheap detail products like TW Ice spray etc. To each their own I guess but I would say invest in some actual detail and paint correcting tools and products and if you DIY on any vehicle you will probably be happier in the long run.
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Sorry guys... been away for a few days. Thanks much for the comments.