New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:38 pm 

[quote

Only a fag would pass on the bumper over concerns it doesn't meet federal regulations. Sheesh.[/quote]

Hi, thanks for that intelligent reply so we all know where you stand on the issue.
My point has more to do with anyone who regards not only their own car mods but safety of any of us in general who are driving these cars or possibly selling or buying one that is modified by someone else and the concerns that go with those mods similarly to mods like removing emissions devices. I'm not judging anyone elses decision to do whatever mods they want to their own car just pointing out a fact someone else may not be aware of. I'm guessing by your own response that you have never considering things like what goes on after a fatal crash involving a vehicle you own, drove or where crashed into by. In most states a licensed crash reconstruction certified inspection person would go over any and all parts of a car and CERTAINLY check for things like body/light modifications that do not meet US standards. This information could then be used to determine things like fault, negligence and civil responsibilities after such an event which could include: awards from a jury, compensation from insurance companies, or even if criminal charges are going to be brought forth by a LE organization. Again please take this for what it is just a statement of fact, do what you like to your own vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:04 am 

I'd possibly be interested in a rear deck spoiler.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:40 am 
System Manager

Very nice looking product, but just for the sake of academic discussion I'm going to side with Migs on this one. It's not Officer Friendly at the street level you have to be afraid of, or the local DMV inspector (unless he/she is an absolute prick), it's Whiplash Levine after the fatality has occurred, the traffic homicide investigation is complete, and the civil suit gets filed by the family, widow, et al.. months after the fatal crash naming everyone who ever had a hand in building the customized car as parties. Unfortunately we live in a litigious society these days, the kind of lawyers that file these cases get paid very excellent money to nitpick to the Nth degree, and lord forbid a car operating outside of DOT specs is in any way involved in a potentially preventable fatality. I can just SEE the cross-examination on the stand now.... sigh..... Remember burden of proof for a "win" in a civil trial is much lower then in a criminal case.

Yep, I'll agree that the possibility of this happening is very, very remote. But... low-order probability events DO happen, that's what keeps insurance underwriters awake at night. My wife works commercial insurance - processing insurance policies for big national over-the-road vehicle companies. Any idea how many drivers in your lane are on their 5th DUI or more and still driving? Yeah, everyone can get insurance at SOME price.... even with 40+ moving violations on their MVR. Are you next in Charlie Screw-up's cross-hairs?

Anyway, just my .02 worth - from an ex-cop that's seen a few people get hosed in court. Like your house, cars, retirement savings? Want to keep it all? Err on the side of caution in this area sports fans!

Eric

System Manager and your tourguide for the day. Caprice Alumni, former owner of a 2011 Caprice 9C3 with a Rotofab CAI and front radiator cover, 3.45 LSD Camaro rear diff, Chris Henry performance tune, G8 GT 18" Enkei rims w/Holden lions, custom SLP axle-back muffler set with tips, Holden WM Caprice factory spoiler, Holden SSV leather steering wheel and leather shift knob, Whelen Alpha-12Q airhorn amp. G8 GT rear seat swap, AVS Ventshades.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 pm 

You can always do it the right way... you can still buy all the AUS crash bar/bumper support. Like someone said above... I know a lot of guys have side repeaters on their car which would pass for a side reflector I'm sure unless you live in a state where inspections are super anal. If anyone is still interested I have streettrends pay pal for deposits of 200, then 200 later once bumpers are ready. Production time is about 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm 

xcidmigs wrote:
That bumper appears to delete the front side amber reflectors which is a US FEDERAL REGULATION... I would be nervous doing that regardless of what your states inspection situation is. Maybe figure out how to install one in the fender "Vent" area at the same time?

I'm inclined to think the amber in the headlights cover the side marker requirements. The other lower reflector lines up with it in a side profile. Looking at pics of several similar year other Chevys and many don't have a separate side marker, just the amber in the side of the headlight. Pretty much only the cars without amber in the headlight have separate amber side markers.

The Chevy SS doesn't have a lower side marker in the front.

Reading the only thing I found defines side markers as this:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108
Quote:
Side marker lamps are lamps which show to the side of the vehicle, mounted on the permanent structure of the vehicle as near as practicable to the front and rear edges to indicate the overall length of the vehicle. Additional lamps may also be mounted at intermediate locations on the sides of the vehicle.

Seems the middle of the fender blinkers wouldn't meet side marker requirements in the SS, Caprice, or any other car. the amber in the headlight has to do it.

In summary, I wouldn't worry about losing the side markers here as I feel it is covered in the headlights, with the understanding of course I haven't read the requirement near enough to confirm particulars of that, but that would be my position.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:20 pm 

If I can't find a replacement push bumper for a reasonable price I may be interested in going this route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:22 pm 

Interested ~ is the chrome molding included?