Giving an old WI sheriff car a new life, lots of questions!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
lsxJERRY

Giving an old WI sheriff car a new life, lots of questions!

Post by lsxJERRY »

Hello, I bought a 2012 Caprice PPV a few months back and it's.... different to say the least, fast, but I'm so used to old vehicles that a few things I need help with. But first some pictures:

SO.....
Here's some questions for you all:

1. To remove the spotlight, I know the exterior hole has to be covered (most likely by a body shop) but as far as the interior trim, is it available to order? What would be the part number?

2. There's this wicked rattle when i accelerate hard from a stop, possible heat sheild? I'm hoping it's not a transmission grind.

3. Anyone install an aftermarket radio? Or is the reprogramming thing the only option.

4. Anyone know how to deactivate the AFM/DOD?

All answers and help is much appreciated, thanks.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Giving an old WI sheriff car a new life, lots of questio

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Spotlight? I'd leave it. Better seals with it. The A-pilar trim is available, though, and you'd probably need to replace the driver side outer door seal. The cut in the door would have to be fixed by a good body guy and quality time with a welder.

Wisconsin sheriff's car? So was ours!! Welcome to the fold. :mrgreen: you got the console. Nice. We didn't. Does your 'ticket light' work? Ours was removed, but a stubby antena on the trunk stayed with te ar. Go figure.

The rattle is likely a bad motor mount. It's a common issue. replacements are available.

Not sure what your requirements are for the radio, but it works fine for me as-is. My requirements are pretty low, however.

There are DOD delete kits available. Do the googlies on 'Texas Speed DOD delete kit'. You should get lucky.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Hey Jerry welcome!! Looks very clean!!

Your Pillar cover part for the drivers side is GM number 92247522

These folks got good prices and shipping is not astronomical:
http://www.iamgmparts.com/chevrolet/cap ... illar-trim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have not seen any aftermarket head unit installs on our cars yet. There is some stuff available for the G8's that still integrates with the AC controls and such but may not fit the caprice exactly. But honestly for $300 you can get all the functionality of any aftermarket stereo and still have the advantage of everything working correctly, hard to beat the White programming in the end.

Great to have you! Keep us updated on your progress!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

You can disable DOD with HPtuners. I've done it on my blower setup. I'll do a different engine, when the time comes! 8-)
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

On the rattle....
On other common thing to check is the exhaust heat shields on the passenger side of the car. They are flimsy and for some reason, may become bent causing them to contact the exhaust system and rattle. I have seen this on many cars and still trying to find the cause. It can only be from running over something like tire treads or could be caused by air catching the shields at very high speeds and causing them to be bent. So far, I have bent several back into position by hand and bending them in a way to keep the air from getting behind them and ripping them down towards the exhaust seems to keep the problem from coming back. So far I've only seen this on the cars that have driven well north of 130 MPH.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmmm, I'll have to get under our car and see if it has been north of 130! :D

We have the 'rattle'.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Thanks everyone! Sorry for late reply, work hours are awful. Going to Speed Inc tomorrow about a DOD delete and exhaust. I'm trying to figure something out with that spotlight before winter, I daily this car and having traffic stop/go under speed limit/look at you po'd when you pass them got annoying quick! I already had to fix a water leak from a bad rain storm, stained my headliner bad but used resolve and some scrubbing to fix it. The center console is a last minute purchase I did before I went to see Roadkill up in Michigan. I'm thinking on doing a 9c3 console swap next year.

Last question.... Why won't this car do a burnout? It stalls itself at 1500rpm and does nothing. Is it something that can be tuned out?
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

lsxjerry, where are you from? Im on the south side of Chicago. I looked at a car or two at Chicago Motors. I ended up buying from Welcome motors. looks like you got a clean car!
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

You can't powerbrake without tuning it out. :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Burnout, or spin the tires? I can easily do the latter, but haven't tried the former. It gets kind of angry when you do that, though. Things light up and chimes start going off. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?