In search of a dad mobile

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Oversizedchild

In search of a dad mobile

Post by Oversizedchild »

Hello all! Been looking for a big body car and stumbled upon the Legit Street Cars videos on the Caprice PPV. I’ve always wanted an SS, but the cost has always been a limiting factor, so the PPV really interested me. I’m still researching on whether to get an 11-13 or a 14+, but I’ve nailed down that I will be going with a PPV, just need to find the right one and figure out what is a decent price, the cost for a stock one seems to vary widely, even for similar trim and mileage.

I’m on the Facebook pages as well, as they seem to be more active, but forums tend to have more quality information and less “noise”.
Oversizedchild

Re: In search of a dad mobile

Post by Oversizedchild »

Also, I’m a big guy (6’7 300lbs.) so these cars sound like they are a perfect fit!
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

The 2014-2017 cars have a number of improvements and refinements over the older generation Caprice, if you can pick up one of those at a pricepoint you're happy with it would be a fun ride for you. The 2015 is actually the sweet spot as it was the first year of the stock backup camera - also 2016-2017 cars lost the CD player due to GM/Holden cost-cutting - SS Sedan also lost theirs at the same time. But, any year works! As with any car, years, miles, engine run & idle hours, desired powertrain, type of use the car had, cop mods that were "de-fitted", there's all sorts of variables out there.

Good luck on the search, if you have questions ask away.
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
EmpireState9c1

Post by EmpireState9c1 »

I'd also 14+ is the way to go. I just recently purchased a 14, and am already looking at ways to integrate Android auto into the stock setup, with a high line dsp integrated to essentially turn the stock head unit into an aftermarket unit with a stock look. Much easier to do with a 14+ than an 11-13. The 11-13's have a much more purist holdenesque feel to it in my opinion though, and stylistically I like it better for the car itself. All depends on what YOU like. As for your build? I don't think it'll be much concern for you.
Oversizedchild

Post by Oversizedchild »

Thank you both! There are a few local 11-13’s in the 10k-12k range. To get a 14+ I’m going to have to drive a bit. I’m in no big hurry, so that helps. I assume the GovDeal and other auctions are hit or miss on car quality. The information I see posted for their listings is minimal and the Q&A section doesn’t get you very far from what I can tell. I imagine these vehicles had to be running and driving to be in service, and they are more likely to have broken mechanical equipment replaced since it was on the municipalities dime?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Probably when the car was in active service the level of repairs & maintenance was adequate or better, however... at the end of service life things have been known to slip. Plus when equipment is de-installed for sale of the vehicle, the level of attention & care in de-installation varies greatly. Always personally inspect a vehicle before purchase, if you don't it's a crapshoot on what you will receive. Some entities will just stick a deadlined car with engine or transmission issues in the sale and, while not outright misleading will do their best to gloss over all but the most glaring defects to maximize return revenue. There are entities that do take very good care of their cars, conversely there are also those departments that use Clem at the oil change place down the street simply because their repair budget is minimal at best. Again, inspect before you buy. Better departments will have detailed maintenance records and will have no issues letting you have a look at them. Bigger fleet sales give you more of a choice.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Oversizedchild

Post by Oversizedchild »

I’m seeing a few lightly modified 2014+ for sale on Facebook. I’m in VA and the prices here seem to be a bit higher than some of the bigger states. Looks like this is a smaller community, so the guys that are known for modding and selling pop up quite frequently on the PPV pages. I’ll keep everyone posted when I finally get one!
colemanvoice

Post by colemanvoice »

I was set to find a 14-17 after I understood the differences. But, this thread helped me understand, they did not build the same number of cars each year;

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3509
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

FWIW, the interior of my 2015 is "nicer" than the 2013 I had before (seats are almost identical) but I liked the interior of the 2013 better. Biggest downside is that a nice steering wheel for the 11-13 cars is pretty expensive, but you can get one for a 2014+ for $200 or less on rockauto.
2015 Caprice 6.0
EmpireState9c1

Post by EmpireState9c1 »

Oversizedchild wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:22 pm I’m seeing a few lightly modified 2014+ for sale on Facebook. I’m in VA and the prices here seem to be a bit higher than some of the bigger states. Looks like this is a smaller community, so the guys that are known for modding and selling pop up quite frequently on the PPV pages. I’ll keep everyone posted when I finally get one!

So? Did you ever drop the hammer on a purchase?