New guy from Colorado!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Jreal1215

New guy from Colorado!

Post by Jreal1215 »

Hello everyone! Thank you for accepting me into this great forum! I’ve already learned a lot and look forward to contributing and learning.

I’ve got a 2013 V8. My buddy bought it from an auction 2 years ago and I fell in love with it. He finally decided to let me buy it so here we go!

So far I’ve got all holes plugged, patched. Fixed scratches and dings and threw 2 coats of single stage white on it. Came out very nice. Interior is not too bad but I don’t plan on throwing too much effort into the interior.

I have lots of ideas for performance but I wanted to check in and see where’s the best place to start. I will be looking through old threads for ideas but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Edit - still trying out how to post a picture
Boingo

Re: New guy from Colorado!

Post by Boingo »

According to what I have read, the easiest is to throw a cold air intake. Some get entire boxes and one guy did some cool tubing he ordered and deleted a part so he could use the OEM filter box. Second I would look into the DOD delete or the AFM disabler to save your cam & pocketbook. All those are in the forums here under a different headings.
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
the voices say I am special :D
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Intake, exhaust, tune, rear end ratio. Easiest items to get good performance gains with. The classic magical formula.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

In terms of bang for your buck, two things come to mind.

One is to change the camshaft (make sure you are emissions legal in your jurisdiction). You can get between 50 and 100 HP with just a cam change. If you need evidence, see some of Richard Holdener's videos on youtube. He's the "dyno king". His nightly "videocast" is filled with tons of info on horsepower and torque curves. His emphasis is on LS engines (of course!). Put on your seatbelt and search on this: "richard holdener ls 6.0 camshaft" in youtube.

The second thing to think about is the differential. Camaro differentials fit in the caprice and are stronger. They also come with better ratios. Many here have upgraded to 3.45 or 3.27. The details are well covered here in many threads.

Enjoy.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Jreal1215

Post by Jreal1215 »

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and great advice. I’ve got some long tube headers and a full exhaust on the way. :D I’m totally lost on the the cold air intake but I like that idea of using the stock housing and running some tubing and vents to get in front of the radiator for truer colder air.

So cams and differential huh? Solid advice! Thanks again!
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Post a pic or two when you get a chance.

I think by far the most benefit is from an exhaust. The stock exhaust is very restrictive. I got to 400hp with headers, a complete exhaust and dyno tune. No cam or CAI.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Jreal1215

Post by Jreal1215 »

Thanks mooseman. Headers and exhaust are on the way!
Jreal1215

Post by Jreal1215 »

[/img]
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

I would do an exhaust, but in California I don’t believe there are any CARB legal ones I can run. Jealous you can.
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
the voices say I am special :D