Howdy, new member

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Boingo

Howdy, new member

Post by Boingo »

So, here I am. Just picked up a 2011 with 26k miles, yes only 26,000. Just got the car last weekend. Was a sergeant’s ride. Guessing they hid behind the donut shop in La Habra,Ca where the vehicle spent its life. ;) I am now the second owner. For the most part a pretty whole car. Has the typical mounting holes plugged with what looks like clear bicycle tire inner tube patches. I had to reconnect the tail lights that had been cut above the passenger battery. They put some limiting straps on the front doors to keep them from flying forward like 4x4 straps. Doors still fully open.

Things on mind to do at first glance.
Working on a different idea than others on here for a stereo setup. I’ll show more if it works out, if not I’ll act like I never mentioned it. 😆
Can’t figure how they ran the spotlight wires, no power and they disappear into the dashboard.
Third brake light not working, haven’t figured how to pop it out to check for power yet.
Don’t see an option available for fog light bezels yet, rather have black not the Berlina chrome.
Will do something to fill lower grill opening.
I think they put screws limiting rear windows from going down more than an inch. Will fix
Want led turn signals but haven’t found flasher yet. Like to use a led resistance flasher than in line if poss.
Definitely changing grill and steering wheel to Holden lion for cool factor. Will delete rest for clean look.
Seems you all are having good luck with lowering springs, so I am down for that.
Was looking at wide body ideas but best option is super involved with metal work. I found a site did it on a
Commodore. I don’t think I’m doing all that. Very involved.
Looking for some cool 18x8 with the same +46 offset, or about, as stock to avoid rubbin after springs. I
actually like the stock ones but I read you all say they are like 80lbs heavier than some aluminum.
In California, so they don’t let us legally have any fun with vehicles. So going the AFM OBD for now.
Need to order some rear seatbelts.
Well, I’m sure there is more but I have taken up enough of your time for now.
Appreciate you listening
Attachments
FC6C3929-06D1-40CB-BED3-1E46A091B81E.jpeg
FC6C3929-06D1-40CB-BED3-1E46A091B81E.jpeg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 666 times
13D37774-DB82-4880-B2F8-521C328CD1A1.jpeg
13D37774-DB82-4880-B2F8-521C328CD1A1.jpeg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 666 times
8F6F6A11-585B-48AB-BEB9-7B3549684654.jpeg
8F6F6A11-585B-48AB-BEB9-7B3549684654.jpeg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 666 times
3A777AC3-EB99-426D-854F-86916392CD9E.jpeg
3A777AC3-EB99-426D-854F-86916392CD9E.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 666 times
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
the voices say I am special :D
Mooseman

Re: Howdy, new member

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! You planning on painting it a single colour instead of the current panda scheme? ;)

So you can't actually delete AFM? I guess all you can do is use the Range AFM disabler so you can take it out when going for a smog test. And from I heard, they now check that you have the stock tune so you can't disable it that way neither.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

I ordered some phantom black metallic vinyl wrap for now. Will look into painting it later.
As far as I know, all I can safely get away with is the AFM disabler. I know the actual DOD delete won’t work because I actually have to get a tune to make that work properly. Pretty sure after I take out the disabler it doesn’t leave any residual in the tune. I have never used one before. Are you saying I can’t even use it or they will know I had it in before ?
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Try G8 GT wheels if you want the same exact specification wheels , those work perfect for our cars (yeah they're 18 x 8). I used to run them on my 2011 completely seamlessly, even have a set in the garage if for some reason these 2016 Camaro wheels end up not working out due to offset. Although I haven't cut up any more tires in over 20,000 miles now.

My avatar pic is still of my old 2011, so if you want to know how they look on a car take a gander. Or I can send you a bigger pic.

Welcome!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

For the third brake light, before you mess with the headliner, check in the trunk (passenger side, under the package tray) for a yellow wire with a black stripe. You should find what looks like two of them taped together, but it's one wire that has been cut. Put them back together and the third brake light should work. If you don't find it in the trunk, look under the passenger side C piller.
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

elc32955 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:24 am Try G8 GT wheels if you want the same exact specification wheels , those work perfect for our cars (yeah they're 18 x 8). I used to run them on my 2011 completely seamlessly, even have a set in the garage if for some reason these 2016 Camaro wheels end up not working out due to offset. Although I haven't cut up any more tires in over 20,000 miles now.

My avatar pic is still of my old 2011, so if you want to know how they look on a car take a gander. Or I can send you a bigger pic.

Welcome!
Eric
Nice! Thanks for the heads up. People are selling them all over the place.
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

Lord Vader wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:42 am For the third brake light, before you mess with the headliner, check in the trunk (passenger side, under the package tray) for a yellow wire with a black stripe. You should find what looks like two of them taped together, but it's one wire that has been cut. Put them back together and the third brake light should work. If you don't find it in the trunk, look under the passenger side C piller.
You saved me twice without even knowing it. So I did find a cut wire at the C pillar up top just as it went above the headliner. So third brake light fixed. Thank you very much.

So while I was looking for the wire I took out the back seat. Turns out they zip tied the seat belts behind it. So by accident I found out I have unused new seatbelts and won’t need to order any. I am missing the double female buckle, but that seems easy to find. I also have no nuts holding the rear seats or the ones to bolt down the seatbelts. That is an easy fix at a local hardware store.

I appreciate the feedback. It ended up fixing two problems :D
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Boingo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:01 am Pretty sure after I take out the disabler it doesn’t leave any residual in the tune. I have never used one before. Are you saying I can’t even use it or they will know I had it in before ?
It does nothing to the tune or leave any codes. It's undetectable once removed but while it's out your DOD will be able to activate so I'd recommend pulling it out just before the test.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Glad you found that wire and the seat belts. That's a big win.

There are numerous examples of cars passing CA smog with DOD disabled via something like HP Tuners. that's just turning it off, not replacing the cam or anything... I'm not sure what would happen if you changed the cam. Check this post for further info: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3400
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Lord Vader wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:40 pm Glad you found that wire and the seat belts. That's a big win.

There are numerous examples of cars passing CA smog with DOD disabled via something like HP Tuners. that's just turning it off, not replacing the cam or anything... I'm not sure what would happen if you changed the cam. Check this post for further info: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3400
If you read that thread, apparently CA now has software to detect non-stock tunes via the checksum so a tune via HPTuners is a no-no.