Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
evoslayer

Post by evoslayer »

Hi everyone. I'm new over here and have been looking for a PPV for a few weeks now. Hope to learn more about them here and maybe find one to buy.

Thanks for having me.
GammaFlat

Re: New Member

Post by GammaFlat »

Welcome.

Look here for deals on de-commissioned gov Caprices: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... rchPg=Main

Recently, there have been a handful of them from Mobile AL with bad engines. I'm thinking that getting one with a bad engine is the best deal. You have to be willing to work on it but changing out cam and lifters or even rod bearings isn't that big of a deal.

After all, it ain't rocket surgery. The problems creep in when you relent to new pistons, head work, a new crank and rods, a supercharger, a new exhaust, a new rear end and wheels. All of which are "nice to have" but not "must haves". Then you've spent money :D .
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
elc32955
System Manager

Re: New Member

Post by elc32955 »

Just to expand on what GammaFlat passed on, if you look in our Caprices for sale section the very first post at the top that's stickied contains links to many auction sites and sources for Caprices. Follow that and you'll have many cars available to you. GovDeals is one of the best sites, it's pretty well known. Public Surplus is also good, Proxibid will list multiple auctions in different states with Caprices, and you can always check individual state sites. North Carolina for instance runs their own sales and has pretty good deals on nicer LFX cars a few times annually. (I know the following is heresy... but just sayin!) In this economy the V6 cars are becoming mucho more attractive options if you just need a DD - and I can't see the gas price crunch abating anytime soon unfortunately. I get lower 30s for economy with mine steady-state driving on I-95 with cruise engaged. The sweet spot seems to be 71 MPH for my car before economy takes a nose-dive, if you do enough miles you get used to it.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.