Cruising S. Oregon

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
65 Z-16

Cruising S. Oregon

Post by 65 Z-16 »

Hey, hi, hello from Southwest Oregon. I just purchased my '12 9C1 6.0l with 102k miles and I am loving it! I'll admit complete ignorance of these cars until now. I was car shopping and was considering a Police Charger when I stumbled on these Chevys and, being a lifelong Bowtie Boy, I was intrigued. After some quick research (primarily on New Caprice) I was hooked and 2 days later, I was in my newest hotrod.
Not sure yet what my plans are with it. For now, simple and low-buck mods include ditching the Bluesmobile look ASAP by matching the doors and roof to it's phantom black nose and tail and adding some CL rims and tires. It sticks out like a turd in the punchbowl as is. I'll also take care of any maintenance issues that pop-up, beginning with the suspension rattle I hear coming from the RF. Sounds like sway bar links, but I haven't gotten it to a shop to verify yet.
I'm day-dreaming of a 3.45 Camaro rear and a shifter that hits all 6 gears when I tell it to, also of going LSA. wondering, can blower parts be sourced from full-size SUV's like Suburbans and Escalades?
Who knows how deep I'll dive into this car yet, but I know it'll be fun.
still dirty from 3 hour drive home from seller.
still dirty from 3 hour drive home from seller.
20220411_195039.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 592 times
Mooseman

Re: Cruising S. Oregon

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Nice starter panda. Yeah, that look has to go but until then, it's fun to have people slow down and click their belts around you :mrgreen:
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

Mooseman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:45 am Welcome! Nice starter panda. Yeah, that look has to go but until then, it's fun to have people slow down and click their belts around you :mrgreen:
haha! You've no idea... perhaps this speaks to the character of my friends, perhaps mine, but I had great fun visiting my friends and getting their reactions when I pulled in their driveways the 1st time in my cruiser. :shock: :lol:
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

nice user ID , 1 of 201 !!
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:14 pm nice user ID , 1 of 201 !!
Thanks! 8-) I wondered if anybody would get the obscure reference.
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

I went by my local Chevy dealership with my vin# today. the parts man entered my vin# into his system and pulled up 7 pages of factory build codes specific to my car. Loads of great info, including paint codes, that could be very useful in the future.
I also had an alignment shop look at the front end, specifically the right front which I mentioned in my OP was making alot of noise. I suspected maybe a sway bar end link. Turns out the screws holding my hubcap on were loose, lol!
So, in thinking about a build I've got a couple of general themes in mind that will give my build direction. first and foremost this will be a budget build. Finances dictate that it'll be a slow process full of used parts and DIY trickery. Secondly, I'm shooting for something like a "sport/touring" car with emphasis on "sport." That seems to make the most sense to me given the platform.
I'm entirely open to opinions and suggestions along the way. Thanks to everyone for being here and sharing knowledge. I'll get a build thread started as I get into the project.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

65 Z-16 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:33 pm
been on the top of my list of special cars on the want list !!! i have had the pleasure of driving 1 , though i was moving it from 1 spot in the auction to another , but looking at the 160mph speedo , and hearing the thunder of the exhaust , i was sure i had the speedo pegged , but it said 5-10mph , lmao
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:39 pm
been on the top of my list of special cars on the want list !!! i have had the pleasure of driving 1 , though i was moving it from 1 spot in the auction to another , but looking at the 160mph speedo , and hearing the thunder of the exhaust , i was sure i had the speedo pegged , but it said 5-10mph , lmao
You and me both, lol! I remember seeing 1 go at Barretts for $238k about 25 years ago. Gotta wonder how many legit ones still exist...

My last project car was a '65 2dr V8 car I was restomodding to be a "what if" version of the big block '65 Malibu, lowered w/disc brakes, in the original to car white w/red interior BUT AS AN RS MODEL IF CHEVY HAD A RALLY SPORT OPTION IN '65 - with disc brakes, quick-turn steering from Z28/TA, and visually, every exterior trim that would normally be black, including the Z16's unique back panel, be refinished in a darkish red matching the interior. I revere the Z16 and would never attempt a clone "fake" but a "what-if" '65 Malibu "RS" has been a long time dream. I never got to finish that project, unfortunately, and it's long gone. but that was then and now is now; '12 PPV FTW, lolz.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

65 Z-16 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:48 pm
s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:39 pm
You and me both, lol! I remember seeing 1 go at Barretts for $238k about 25 years ago. Gotta wonder how many legit ones still exist...

My last project car was a '65 2dr V8 car I was restomodding to be a "what if" version of the big block '65 Malibu, lowered w/disc brakes, in the original to car white w/red interior BUT AS AN RS MODEL IF CHEVY HAD A RALLY SPORT OPTION IN '65 - with disc brakes, quick-turn steering from Z28/TA, and visually, every exterior trim that would normally be black, including the Z16's unique back panel, be refinished in a darkish red matching the interior. I revere the Z16 and would never attempt a clone "fake" but a "what-if" '65 Malibu "RS" has been a long time dream. I never got to finish that project, unfortunately, and it's long gone. but that was then and now is now; '12 PPV FTW, lolz.
im still looking for a 65 300 to make into a drag car

to many parts out now to make a copy :( , i tried to chase one down back in the early 90s , the 396 was long gone , but it supposedly had a dual quad 427 under the hood , bu i never found it , and my trans guy hadnt found it either