Howdy from Texas!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Bishop

Howdy from Texas!

Post by Bishop »

Hey guys! New owner here. Mine is a 2012. Picked it up a couple months ago with 104k miles, bone stock. This is my first LS based car, so I'm excited for that. I intend to spend some money on it and build it into a fun, powerful daily driver.

Spent a fair amount of time looking at the big wheel thread here before going for some 19x8.5 ET35 TSW Sebrings wrapped in 245/45R19 Falken Azenis FK510's on all four corners. Bit bigger than stock, fits fine. Didn't plan to but ended up lowering the car on Eibach G8 lowering springs. Still no clearance issues and the car looks much better.

Car's paint is in not great condition, with a fair amount of scratches, plugged holes from removed cop stuff, and white doors. Considering just getting the doors colormatched or potentially getting the holes professionally fixed and maybe wrapping the car. Not sure yet.

Also need to get those DOD lifters out of there and plan to swap in a bigger cam while I'm there. Would like to push it as far as I can without sacrificing too much dailyability and would like to remain on the stock converter. I've still got a lot of reading to do before I decide which cam profile is ideal but any input is definitely appreciated. Also considering swapping in a Camaro diff since I'm not on the highway much.

A bit about me, I've been a moderately professional mechanic for about 7 years now. I've got some experience with road race cars (LS swapped BRZ, B swapped CRX, and currently working on a really nice K20 swapped BRZ for some wheel to wheel action) as well as light offroad stuff. Favorite car I've ever owned is my first car, a '97 Lexus LS400. Had it over a decade now, still have it, never going to sell it. But it's starting to show it's age and it's time to take her off daily duty and I figured you can't really go wrong with a big displacement Chevy motor. Loving the Caprice so far.

Thanks for having me gentlemen.
Chevy-Art

Re: Howdy from Texas!

Post by Chevy-Art »

Howdy and welcome. I am also in Texas, San Antonio to be exact.
2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV Hugo Blue
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

How do you like the FK510s? I had looked at those, but ended up with General G-Max RS.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Post some pics unless she's camera shy?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
WasonJinn

Post by WasonJinn »

Welcome to the forum! I just joined as well and I’m in Texas also. I’m in the Fort Worth/Keller area, would be cool to meet up if you are close!
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Alrighty gents shortly after I posted that introduction I had a DOD lifter collapse on me. Was hoping for a bit more time to enjoy it stock, but so it goes.

After tons of research I decided on the BLP DOD Delete Kit and a BTR Stage 2 truck cam. Took me too long but I've finally got it all back together. Of course, after E85 sits for that long with an open fuel line, it goes bad. Lesson learned. Now I need to find a way to run the fuel pump to empty out the tank. I've got a decent bidirectional scanner coming that should do the trick for me, lest I take a dremel to the back seat to get that fuel pump out lol.

I'll attach a pic of her torn all the way down. First time getting quite this deep into a motor. I've got to admit it was quite easy to work on, though that could just be my familiarity with Chevy motors. I do appreciate the simplicity of this L77 and pushrod motors in general.

Here's to hoping I did a good job and don't have any issues. Would really like to see 400+rwhp. Maybe a bit optimistic but we'll see.
Mooseman wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:34 pm Welcome! Post some pics unless she's camera shy?
This is really the only pic I got of it before that lifter collapsed and it sat in my garage collecting some serious dust. This is also before I installed the lowering springs. It looks much better with the springs.
Fandango wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:28 pm How do you like the FK510s? I had looked at those, but ended up with General G-Max RS.
They've been great so far. Haven't got to put too many miles on them but they definitely feel nice and are quiet at speed. I'll form a better opinion once I see how they handle the cam.
WasonJinn wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 pm Welcome to the forum! I just joined as well and I’m in Texas also. I’m in the Fort Worth/Keller area, would be cool to meet up if you are close!
I am definitely close! I'm in North Fort Worth, about 10 minutes from Keller. How cool! I'll let ya know when I get this thing in running condition haha.
Attachments
PXL_20220406_025353299.jpg
PXL_20220406_025353299.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 1017 times
PXL_20220127_034528513.jpg
PXL_20220127_034528513.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 1017 times
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

What model scanner are you getting?
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Sanford wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 pm What model scanner are you getting?
I got an Autel MK808BT. Impressed with it's capability for the price point so far.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Welcome. I just installed that same cam in my 2014. I've only got a few hundred miles on it, and I'm not nearly done fooling with the tune, but I'm happy with it so far and I haven't even started playing with the timing or virtual torque tables yet. If you get it tuned and dyno'd be sure to post the numbers.
Joe
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Bishop wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:13 pm
Sanford wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 pm What model scanner are you getting?
I got an Autel MK808BT. Impressed with it's capability for the price point so far.
I bought an Autel MX808 Maxi Check a couple of years ago and it has paid for itself a couple of times.