Howdy from Texas!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Bishop

Re: Howdy from Texas!

Post by Bishop »

JoeR wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 pm Welcome. I just installed that same cam in my 2014. I've only got a few hundred miles on it, and I'm not nearly done fooling with the tune, but I'm happy with it so far and I haven't even started playing with the timing or virtual torque tables yet. If you get it tuned and dyno'd be sure to post the numbers.
Joe
Got her tuned by a place called Trackstar, recommended to me by a good friend. They did a fantastic job. It's very mild mannered when driving "normally," even with the stock stall. Once you let it get above about 3k it really starts to eat and pulls all the way to 6k+. Very pleased with this cam and tune, this is exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately it was a street tune so I have no numbers. I'm definitely curious but maybe it's better if I don't know :P

Having an issue with an intermittent P0203 code deactivating my cylinder 3 fuel injector. I have a feeling it's the injector itself, so I've ordered a new one before doing a proper diagnosis, which I hope to not regret lol. This looks like the last little hurdle before I can call it "done" for now so I'm very excited. Now I'm considering looking into cutouts and nitrous. We'll see.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

As easy as the fuel rails come off, maybe try swapping that injector into a different cylinder and see if the code follows it. If it does, it's the injector. If not, wiring or PCM.

Glad you like the cam. The more I mess with that BTR Truck cam, the more I appreciate it. Over the weekend I tuned an SS with a 6.2/Truck Norris Cam. In my opinion, the sacrifice in low speed drivability is not worth the extra few HP that you gain. With a stock converter it I think that cam is just a bit too much. Thankfully the owner was happy with it, but I'm betting he gets tired of it, just like everyone tires of harsh shift kits in transmissions. They're fun for a while, but wear you out on a daily driver.

Joe
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

JoeR wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:04 pm As easy as the fuel rails come off, maybe try swapping that injector into a different cylinder and see if the code follows it. If it does, it's the injector. If not, wiring or PCM.

Glad you like the cam. The more I mess with that BTR Truck cam, the more I appreciate it. Over the weekend I tuned an SS with a 6.2/Truck Norris Cam. In my opinion, the sacrifice in low speed drivability is not worth the extra few HP that you gain. With a stock converter it I think that cam is just a bit too much. Thankfully the owner was happy with it, but I'm betting he gets tired of it, just like everyone tires of harsh shift kits in transmissions. They're fun for a while, but wear you out on a daily driver.

Joe
Exactly what I did. Code followed. Swapped injector. Fixed. Good suggestion, thanks.

Interesting to hear about the Truck Norris cam. Was really wanting to get that one, but it was backordered and I didn't want to wait. This BTR Truck stage 2 is perfect for me, exactly what I wanted and very livable for daily driving. Only complaint is the car wiggles at idle but it's not that bad and I expected to sacrifice a bit of comfort anyway.

Now I'm chasing a shaking under braking. Put new pads and rotors on before it collapsed a lifter. Didn't notice this shake before the cam install. Regreased all slide pins, looked for anything strange or out of place. Installed new rotors in case the old new ones were warped for some reason. Shake is better, but its intermittent. It's very strange. I'm thinking it may be wheel bearings but they're not giving me the normal bad bearing symptoms. Really want to see what the top of 3rd or 4th gear feels like but not gonna push it that fast without brakes I completely trust. I'm sure I can figure it out.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

On the decel shake, I want to to try something, please. When slowing down, pop the trans into Neutral. See if the shake goes away.
I've only tuned 2 Gen4 LSs, but they both did similar things when slowing down. The bigger cam makes for a different MAP profile and the engine will cycle in and out of Decel Fuel Cutoff when off the throttle. I'm wondering if that's what you're feeling. If so, it can be tuned out.

Joe
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Wonder also if maybe it could be the torque converter clutch. It does funky stuff stock, even engaging in gears 1 to 4 as well as 5 and 6. I temporarily turned off all TCC engagement but I plan on turning it off in gears 1 to 4 once I repair the TEHCM as I suspect a torn switch film.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Thanks for the input JoeR and Mooseman. Definitely appreciate any insight I can get. I'll try the neutral trick tonight and see if that makes a difference. It's so strange to me, there are some days where I barely even notice it under any conditions, and other days where it vibrates the steering wheel as if I had very warped rotors even when I'm not braking, which rules the rotors out in my mind. Thanks again guys.