Hey All

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
gavatronx9

Hey All

Post by gavatronx9 »

What's going on there in Caprice land?
I bought an old Illinois State PD Car. 2012. Don't know if it's 9C1 or C3 (Learning about this stuff myself). To be honest, I've always liked the PPVs since they came out. Then I learned that they were made by Holden...(*crickets) (Also, why did they stop making cars? Wasn't "Sandman" a cool car name?)

But hey who cares, I just needed to figure out what these cars were down under(finally figured that out). So with that in mind, I'd like to know more about what interchanges with what. ( Can I rip something off a Corvette, Camaro, or a Caddy and put it on here?) I"m sure I will find a past post or thread that will point me in that direction. (Because I've been reading a lot. Cause reading is fundamental.)

So in closing, (because long introductions are boring AF), Hello everyone, awesome content, talk to you all later.

Gava
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Hey All

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome! There are tons of threads in the forums about anything you want to know about that will or should interchange. Make use of the board's search feature and also generally scan the topic areas you are interested in, there's institutional knowledge about these cars going back close to ten years posted that should help you. If you search and can't find what you're after - post a question and reach out. Lots of very well-versed people in the Caprice on-board here that are willing to help. BUT... try to look first as I guarantee you will find the basics easily.

Thanks, good luck with your build!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Post a pic or two of her. We're very visual :mrgreen:

Holden stopped making cars because GM drove them into the ground just like Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Hummer (although recently revived), Opel, Vauxhall and Saturn. I'm surprised that Buick is still around.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

gavatronx9 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:15 am Don't know if it's 9C1 or C3
The 9C1's had a much more basic center console and usually a plastic floor. If you have a carpeted floor and cool console, you're likely in the 9C3 club. Unfortunately, the 9C3's are a bit rare.

I've put together a spreadsheet where you figure out what options your car has by entering the SPIL (Service Parts Identification Label) codes. You can find the SPIL tag stuck on your deck lid. There's an example (my car - 9C3 8-) ) listed as well. Let me know if you have any problems with it. It can be found here: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... 001#p32001
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The SPIL could also be on the bottom side of the spare tire cover. Good luck.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Pursuit wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 am The SPIL could also be on the bottom side of the spare tire cover. Good luck.

Maurice
OR, not there at all. 8-)

Click on the 'Site Home' link at the top of this forum, then go to 'Files' and sit back with your favorite beverage and have a read. As others have noted, there are a lot of posts with all sorts of mods and such, but there is also a LOT of information in those attached files.

Welcome!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
gavatronx9

Post by gavatronx9 »

after reading I believe I have a 9c1. ok, that's cool. (I got a caprice right?) It's got a 6.0L. I'm thinking of the thousand different things I'd like to do. I'm seriously thinking about putting a supercharger in her. (BTW her name is Huntress) and currently like to find a list of parts (do we have those on here?) to be able to do a total DoD delete and go LSA-ish...(or something) When I got her, someone before me took the spotlight and the push bumper off. So, I was thinking of putting them back on. The State of Illinois Police maintenance Dept. also cut a bunch of wires and stuff.
This means I need to look up stuff like (but not limited to):
Why won't the rear windows go down?
Why don't my rear backup lights work?
How can I get my power mirrors to work?
Can we get a better-sounding radio?
A step by step (cause I'm a little mechanically savy) how to DoD delete and how to convert to LSA.
What all interchanges with what (different engines, cars, etc.)

And this list goes on and on. (I think I'll be reading awhile :D :lol: )

so in closing someone asked to see a pic of my car so, here it is sitting next to my girlfriend's ford...enjoy, and thanks for the responses!
Attachments
HuntressandPepper.png
HuntressandPepper.png (714.77 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
See you out there!!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

gavatronx9 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:49 am <SNIP>
Why won't the rear windows go down?
Why don't my rear backup lights work?
How can I get my power mirrors to work?
Can we get a better-sounding radio?
A step by step (cause I'm a little mechanically savy) how to DoD delete and how to convert to LSA.
What all interchanges with what (different engines, cars, etc.)

And this list goes on and on. (I think I'll be reading awhile :D :lol: )

so in closing someone asked to see a pic of my car so, here it is sitting next to my girlfriend's ford...enjoy, and thanks for the responses!
Search is your friend here. Much of that info is on this forum. The rear windows can be one of at least 3 things:
Harness unplugged at the window switch in the door.
Harness unplugged at the connection under the front passenger seat.
Wires cut where they run from the body to the door.

Search 'rear window power', and you'll see several iterations of this issue.

The backup lights could be just the bulbs are removed, or unplugged to go into a flasher harness. Start chasing wiring from the backup socket in the tail light housing, and you may find the problem.

The power mirrors could also be broken/cut wires where the door harness goes through the conduit between the body and driver's door. The wiring for these cars seems quite brittle, and are not happy with bending back and forth as doors are opened and closed.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
gavatronx9

Post by gavatronx9 »

Wow, learning new things every day about these cars. well, I will check that stuff out. this used to be an ILL. State Police car, so will see what they did...
See you out there!!
gavatronx9

Post by gavatronx9 »

elc32955 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:38 pm Welcome! There are tons of threads in the forums about anything you want to know about that will or should interchange. Make use of the board's search feature and also generally scan the topic areas you are interested in, there's institutional knowledge about these cars going back close to ten years posted that should help you. If you search and can't find what you're after - post a question and reach out. Lots of very well-versed people in the Caprice on-board here that are willing to help. BUT... try to look first as I guarantee you will find the basics easily.

Thanks, good luck with your build!
Eric
Thanks eric
Been a min. since I've been on here. been doing a lot of reading.
gava
See you out there!!