New2me 2012 6.0 PPV

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
CrashTestDummy

Re: New2me 2012 6.0 PPV

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Welcome. The headlight lenses are not available from the factory alone. It's been a while since I've looked, so I'm not sure if just the headlight modules are still available. If so, they were ~$460+/- each.

I think for now, I'd at least put a dab of clear silicone to cover those holes. They may have been used to keep the plastic cool during long running of the headlights/strobes while stationary. I think water from spray/rain in there can only lead to an early deterioration of the reflectors.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
coppcarz

Post by coppcarz »

Well she is back from the shop, after three LONGGGGGG weeks....

I told the mechanic to take his time with it, always felt that rushing someone for no real reason (I really don't need the car, it is a spare toy for me) would always lead to a crappy repair or have them miss something.

Sooo, the good news..........it was just the starter relay!. For some reason........it was damaged, a bit on purpose according to the mechanic's opinion.........Hard to believe someone tampered with a car going to auction....... So anyway 2.5 hours of labor, a new relay, and a new battery.........and she roars!

The mystery of the holes in the headlight has been resolved..........The Fu!$@#g mechanics were either too lazy to pull out the headlight to remove the emergency vehicle strobes, or the agency that decommissioned it a penny wise, a dollar foolish since it would rather cause $1400 in damages to a car they are going to sell, rather than pay extra mechanic time to have the lights removed properly.
So basically, the geniuses drilled holes in the headlights and probably used a screwdriver to smash the strobe bulbs......leaving the damaged bulbs in the capsules. Pretty professional in how they handle tax payer funded assets!

So the car runs great, but in time, definitely need to make it quicker.........

In the next few days, weeks and months, you will see me throwing some questions into the forum trying to catch up on either repairs, mods or simply getting stuff to work.............while many of you will suggest "searching" ( I used to recommend that too to others in car forums, then I had kids, three to be exact, and figured out why guys asked and begged for info!), I will search, but will still ask for help often because I will only have a few hours downtime to address issues.

Thanks in advance for all the help
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

When people do stupid stuff like that sometimes a call to the fleet manager is in order to make him/her aware of what's going on. If you know the agency that sold the vehicle's name, drop a dime. The fleet manager definitely doesn't want the political heat from an agency head saying "YOU COST US MONEY YOU #*$^*#^ IDIOT!!". BS damage to a vehicle needs to be called out.

And, yeah damage and stuff to vehicles in auction lots does happen. I used to buy cars for a salvage yard that sold police cars as a side venture at the same time at the State of Florida was selling their FHP Mustangs. We caught more then one prospective buyer on inspection pulling plug wires and screwing up cars to lower the prices on auction, when we saw who was doing it we reported it to the auctioneer who had his people watch for the perps.... caught, barred, and ejected! BOOYAH! In another variation, the agency I used to work for had a Sheriff's Captain that ordered brand new tires be put on a car that was being sent to auction.... turns out mysteriously the car didn't run when it came time to go to the sale lot, and it had to be towed. Well, guess who bought the car? The very same Sheriff's Captain, and he drove it off the sale lot. Amazing huh! And.... guess who was the brand new deputy on patrol in the sector furthest away from our most remote office the following week? Someone outed the guy to the local newspaper as a political hit job as he was a pretty big jerk... (wasn't me, happened before I started at the agency). Rather big black eye for a while in the press though.

One more quick story, I was looking at a Caprice once for a friend on a pre-purchase sealed-bid inspection and the gomers at this County Sheriff's Office in North Florida didn't bother to tape up the antenna holes in the trunk and the roof after they pulled the antennas and lines. So... Florida rains, you know what happened. The trunk looked like a small fishbowl and the headliner in the car was ruined and dropping down. I called the Fleet Manager and told him in no uncertain terms his staff had hosed the car's resale value.... turns out it was TRUSTEES that had pulled the car's police equipment and quite frankly they didn't give a crap how they did it. Of course the fleet office had responsibility as well for not doing QA on the work.... but.... I'm betting that a few prisoners lost their trustee status after that call. Sometimes in these agencies upfitting and downfitting gets farmed out to the jails, and they can do a very good job - or not. We used to have a running joke that at any given time we could go to the County Jail population reports and select any trades we wanted for internal building projects.... they were all locked up in our pokey! And worked very well for McDonalds hamburgers!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.