Hello Folks

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
P4114

Hello Folks

Post by P4114 »

Hello Everyone,
I was a long time Crown Vic guy and following the discontinuation of the fifty year run of the series.
I found myself without a standard vehicle in my life.
After two years of research and comparisons, I settled upon the Caprice PPV.
I searched high and low for over a year and could not find the L77 in my region. Northern Minnesota.
Finally, I found one and I bought it.
92,000 miles
Lowered suspension, 20 inch rims and low profile tires.
50% tinted windows.
It ran like a dream and I fell in love.
I handed the guy $10,000 on the spot after a test drive and quick inspection at a shop.

Over the last three months, I transitioned my Crown Vic gear and equipment into the Caprice.
After, wiring up and installing hardware into CVPIs for so long, I found the Caprice to be absolutely amazing for setup.
One of the best aspects of the Caprice to me, is the rarity in my area.
It is a true stealth car. A powerful missile, tight and responsive, sleek and sexy.
Especially compared to my old bubble body Vics.

Well, July 3rd, 1017pm, I hit a deer.
Now, my car sits in the dealership waiting for an estimate and I can only hope it is not totaled.
I should find out tomorrow what, is going on with my car.
I want my car back.

Thanks for letting me into this group.
I look forward to posting and asking a lot of questions.
Oh a different topic, I like this format. I have been slowly building a Skoolie and this is the same format and community the Converted / Tiny Home School Bus Community uses.

D.L. Jones
Attachments
107356907_908768222969298_8868508479480547474_n.jpg
107356907_908768222969298_8868508479480547474_n.jpg (340.37 KiB) Viewed 8746 times
106914689_316575489504277_7709816727851650800_n.jpg
106914689_316575489504277_7709816727851650800_n.jpg (247.53 KiB) Viewed 8746 times
enginelord

Re: Hello Folks

Post by enginelord »

Just a guess.. but i think they 'may' total that car. AND may not give you the 10k. Parts for our cars are very expensive. Just a guess... BUT none the less, welcome to the forum!
Buy another one. There's a place in Chicago that sells very nice ones in that price range and a little higher... OR Buy that one back and put a G8 front end on it? :lol: I would do it to mine. But on most here like the originality of these cars though, so I think I'll stand alone on that one. I'd trade my good front end for a G8 front end. I've already started chopping up my car in every direction and prefer the G8 front clip look.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

headlight alone is over 1k , i had far less damage and no airbags deployed on my old G8 and it was a 10k bill when done

your best bet is to pull the car and fix it yourself , the damage doesnt look that bad
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Definitely buy it back if they total it. I think there are enough parts cars out there to fix it up unless it's structurally compromised. Between the FB Caprice buy & sell and car-part.com, you should be able to fix it up.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
P4114

Post by P4114 »

Thanks everyone for the replies.
It is totaled.
I am so bummed out.
They are waiting on the review team or total team to review everything and we go from there.
I stopped at my local garage and they gave me a few leads on parts buyers that may be interested in the car.
The total was over the value before they got under the hood.
I know, I had a very slight radiator leak and maybe more.
It was able to drive home by spotlight about 15 miles without an issue or indication of a problem.

Now, the big questions are:
What is a fair price for a salvaged Caprice?
Is there a market for parts?
Would I be better off selling it whole to a parts dealer or piecing it out myself?

Honestly, at this point I feel like just washing my hands of it and starting the search over again.

Please Advise.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

If you can keep it for a couple of grand, I would keep it and repair it with used parts if there is no structural stuff bent. Or you can use it a parts car as long as you buy another car of the same year.

David
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Parting it out yourself might be a long slog since there aren't that many around so it would be a niche market for parts. There are already some out there for parts.

Depending on the buyback value, I'd seriously look at fixing it up. I understand if you just want to buy another one. Hopefully the insurance doesn't dick you around too much on the value.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
enginelord

Post by enginelord »

I don't care what some people think, most crashes are front end. Used good front end parts for these are not that common....(many people are dying for a clear set of headlights) Yes there are parts cars out there, most all crashed in the front. I agree with you, move on. A few months back I went through a front end search when an deer hit car came across my plate. They are just not out there, when they are, they are likely not close to you. Shipping + parts + labor = buy a good one. They're going to give you about 8.5K I'm going to guess. Post your number they do give and ask about buy-back. Someone here or Facebook may buy it with a little $ for your time. 'If' buy back is less than 3k.

Sorry for your loss, but there are more and more of these available now and as time goes on.
P4114

Post by P4114 »

Thanks for the advise everyone.
I am waiting on the total review team to contact me.

I am hesitant on trying to rebuild another vehicle.
A few years ago, I bought a 1980's M998 Army Humvee.
It was a nightmare finding parts, finding mechanics to work on it and tricky to customize it.
The only benefit of doing the Humvee rebuild was being able to sell most of the stock parts on ebay.
It covered most of the costs and it was a long sit on the market before it sold.

Some of the mechanics in my local shop suggested that I buy it as salvage and try sell it locally.
Someone would pull the engine and drivetrain for a stock car racer or project car.

$8,500 wouldnt cover my loan and it would be harder deducting another 2 or 3 grand on a salvage price.
There is something that doesn't sit right in my mind about paying on a car that I wrecked with the help of bambi's mom hahaha.

I appreciate the help and advise. I will update as things unfold.
enginelord

Post by enginelord »

I want to see you get 10k, and you still may.... every company most certainly varies. It may help to post your company too. I was shocked at first with the difference between comprehensive and full coverage with this car, so i investigated. (once I realized repair costs I understood). My estimate was a guess based on my experience in the industry. State Farm pays the most, followed by American Family, then Allstate and so on..(if is is 'fly-by-nite' get a lawyer, it will pay for it's self). As far as re-sell goes, check Ebay for values on a L77 motor and trans. (while you're at it, check for hoods, headlights and front bumper, :lol: ). They are a bad ass power train for a re-power. Just be sure you know where you are on value before you look for a sell price. (and consider you will need to remove it and spent the time on the deal). Sell the car whole if you do buy it back. Keep us posted, your experience with this, will add to my mine. (and just to keep me in check in the future, and I want to know if I'm right). Please don't give up on the 'New Caprice'. "Niche" market, but worth it. You drove it already.. based on your last project, this car is LEAPS ahead as you already know......