Hello from TN

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Fandango

Hello from TN

Post by Fandango »

Hi there,

I bought a 2013 Caprice last week via govdeals. I had a 2017 SS a few years ago and with kids on the way it was way too nice of a car to keep around. This car will be my long wheelbase, base model version of that car. With it being an ex-police vehicle I don't care as much about the interior, so it should be perfect for kids.

I have already fixed the rear seat to accept three car seats, swapped on my 2017 SS wheels and did an oil change. I'm currently running e85 to clean the top end before I do a cam swap. It needs rotors and pads soon, the plan for the foreseeable future is a DOD/AFM delete and maybe some headers.

Thanks for the site, it's a great resource. I hope to learn some more and help out if I can.

Mooseman

Re: Hello from TN

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome!

Nice ride you got there. Headers and a full exhaust system are definitely worth it as I'm at 400hp with just that and a tune.

When you do the DOD delete, I would recommend replacing the rockers as well as another member has just had one fail after his delete. It would also be worth it to disable DOD before it fails as that will extend the life of your current valvetrain. For now, you could pull the plug on the vacuum sensor located on the brake booster to disable it. You'll get a CEL but you'll know what it's for.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Welcome!

The long wheel base makes the car seat loading/unloading a breeze. However I certainly do not miss the detachable seat/seat base setup. Best of luck with it, white looks great on these.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

Mooseman wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:35 am Welcome!

Nice ride you got there. Headers and a full exhaust system are definitely worth it as I'm at 400hp with just that and a tune.

When you do the DOD delete, I would recommend replacing the rockers as well as another member has just had one fail after his delete. It would also be worth it to disable DOD before it fails as that will extend the life of your current valvetrain. For now, you could pull the plug on the vacuum sensor located on the brake booster to disable it. You'll get a CEL but you'll know what it's for.
A trunion upgrade was in the cards too, good idea.

That's a good trick for the vacuum sensor. I'll have to try it.
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

lastcall190 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:05 am Welcome!

The long wheel base makes the car seat loading/unloading a breeze. However I certainly do not miss the detachable seat/seat base setup. Best of luck with it, white looks great on these.

-J
Yeah, the kids can get heavy in the detachable setup for sure.