New Guy

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
kobra410

New Guy

Post by kobra410 »

Hello from North Carolina, everyone!

Long time lurker, new member. Soon after I got my 2011 9C1 last year, one of my spark plugs exploded (has that ever happened to any of you?), scuffing the cylinder wall and chewing up the piston. New rings, honed cylinder, a filed smooth piston, and a fresh set of spark plugs fixed the problem, and while I was in there I deleted the AFM and swapped in a truck cam to avoid tuning. The info on this site has been extremely helpful!

Future plans include filling a ridiculous amount of holes, 9C3 conversion w/tap shift, SS springs, and unlocking the stereo, and just general things to make it a better/more fun daily.
Kole
2011 9C1 Heron White
s/c'd cav

Re: New Guy

Post by s/c'd cav »

cant say ive ever seen a plug on a stock motor explode

ive only seen them melt , or break from something else hitting them
kobra410

Post by kobra410 »

Yeah, I thought it was weird. The plug wasn't melted, it had chunks of ceramic broken off inside the compression chamber, and looked like it had been arcing off the piston. from the outside it looked normal. Initially I thought it was a lifter failure because it was making a loud ticking/pinging noise, but now I think it was the faulty plug causing detonation.
Kole
2011 9C1 Heron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome. Some pics would be nice.

Maybe whoever had it before put in some fake Chinese plugs? There are a proliferation of them on Amazon and eBay.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
kobra410

Post by kobra410 »

Here she is! As bare bones as it gets. The spotlight is functional though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. You are probably right on the fake plugs... got the fresh ones on Summit so I should be ok...
Last edited by kobra410 on Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kole
2011 9C1 Heron White