New member from Georgia

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Gkk2001

New member from Georgia

Post by Gkk2001 »

Hello everyone. I am currently a CVPI owner and am looking to make the jump to a PPV. I am scheduled to look at a 2012 next week and might buy it. It is a 9C1 and looks to be bare bones, straight from the government. Carfax lists 4 accidents, 2 or 3 are documented as superficial damage, one is not documented at all so there is some concern there. Otherwise, pretty basic car. I probably should not be surprised that police are in accidents often. This PPV is near 75K, low mileage but taken out of service in 2019 so the years may justify taking it out of service and not the accidents? Carfax shows it was in service maybe 5 or 6 months after the last accident.

Question, I see quite a few G8s in salvage yards, usually 2008 or 2009 which may be the only years. Center consoles appear plentiful as well. IS the G8 console swap a common upgrade for the 9C1 PPV? The unknown for me without looking closely is the shifter linkage. An easy bolt up or is fabrication needed? Of course color is another potential issue. I have used vinyl spray paint before with good results so maybe that is an easy option if color is not matched up front?

It is great to be here with fellow enthusiasts. :D
Ilikemtb999

Re: New member from Georgia

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Welcome!

So much will swap over from a g8. Rear seats, front seats (with some wiring) and the entire console/shifter(though you do need a certain bracket I believe) along with countless other things. Door handles are also popular.

The shift linkage can be reused and the shifter will bolt in place.

The caprice was touted as a car that was easily repaired up front since the entire clip and core support bolt in vs weld. Sounds like maybe that one did a lot of pit action or maybe just was unlucky. If it’s cheap enough I wouldn’t worry about it after going over it with a fine tooth comb.
Gkk2001

Re: New member from Georgia

Post by Gkk2001 »

Thanks for the comments and education. I can see there is much to learn like any vehicle. I don’t think I would buy a PPV without this site. This forum makes all the difference.

The next few years will be interesting as more PPVs become available to us civilians, I.e. 2015s etc. I can see this forum growing much larger as the base increases and that has got to be a good thing.