New guy here with a 14 PPV also some questions about a CAI

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
ls6-m22

New guy here with a 14 PPV also some questions about a CAI

Post by ls6-m22 »

Hello ,
I just recently bought a 2014 Caprice and I love it! 63K and in excellent condition with no holes and never caged. I just bought a solo axle back and am now considering a CAI. I've narrowed it down to 2 products and need some opinions. The first is a VCM intake. I have a few concerns though. First is the relocation of the radiator support. Is there any interference with any hoses or wires. Secondly I suppose if I decided to go with a supercharger this intake would not be the one to use? I have read that this intake lets a lot of debris into the MAF but I imagine that issue has been resolved. The other CAI is the Roto-Fab. My only issue is how well the rubber seals to the hood as I also have read about a poor seal letting in hot air. Basically which route did you guys go and some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
CrashTestDummy

Re: New guy here with a 14 PPV also some questions about a C

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Welcome! No clue on the OTRs, since I went with just replacing the Helmholtz chamber in the intake tract and called it done. I do wonder about your user name. M22, huh? You have a nice 4-speed, or two? ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
nstg8r

Post by nstg8r »

Welcome to the board, what part of the world are you from?
ls6-m22

Post by ls6-m22 »

I'm from the Tampa Florida area. Yes I have an old noisy four speed Chevelle. LOL
nstg8r

Post by nstg8r »

ls6-m22 wrote:I'm from the Tampa Florida area. Yes I have an old noisy four speed Chevelle. LOL
What year Chevelle? I miss my 1970!
ls6-m22

Post by ls6-m22 »

nstg8r wrote:
ls6-m22 wrote:I'm from the Tampa Florida area. Yes I have an old noisy four speed Chevelle. LOL
What year Chevelle? I miss my 1970!
Thats the year 1970 :)
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

OTR intakes are clearly the winner from a max HP point of view, however as you said if you do a SC then its not going to work. I believe at least 1 member has made the Rotofab work with a blower so far though and there are photos of the attempts to make them seal better. The OTR setups do use a tilt the radiator design and come with brackets to make that work, it is tight but I've had one for 4 years now and zero problems other than the amount of crap caught in the filter since its right in the front. Small tradeoff for the braggin rights if you ask me and it definately makes the engine sound so much better on WOT.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Mine was in a '72 Trans Am. I had the thing rebuilt twice before I discovered that's the way it's supposed to sound!! :shock:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

VCM is the best intake out there , no issues with the radiator , they supply brackets

ive got a rotofab on my 14 , they actually used my caprice to fit the SS intake on to , and it did require a couple mods to it , mostly the side plate they used to block heat to the headlight area , and a small trim to the from of the box to clear the headlight , i think they should have made the change since it was last year when they fitted it to my car
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Welcome! BTW, I'm in Tampa too!

As others have said, the consensus is that the OTR intakes make the best power but is restricted to N/A and Nitrous applications. If money wasn't an object and you don't plan on installing the supercharger for a year or so, go with the OTR and enjoy the heck out of it. The resale value and desireability tend to be better on the OTR intakes from what I've seen. When you decide on a blower later, you can easily sell the OTR and get another intake. There are several options at that point beyond Rotofab. I'm personally using a New Era intake recycled from my CTS-V Wagon) ;)

2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i