Picking up my new car

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
white12

Picking up my new car

Post by white12 »

Hey, first post. Going to pick up a 2012 V8 tomorrow. Anything to look out for with them?
No Moa

Re: Picking up my new car

Post by No Moa »

hi, were did the car come from? rust belt? south? auction? need details! lol
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
white12

Post by white12 »

It came from Washington state patrol. Car looks great. Only issue is a squeaky belt. Any know issues like crank shaft pulley problems?
No noticeable rust. Only other issue is two seatbelt buckles from the back seat are missing. Just the female ends. Any thoughts on how hard to get those Are? Buying soon...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Harmonic balancers (crank pulley) are known to be pretty weak on the L series engines. Replace with an aftermarket if yours is really bad.

Seat belts are a tough one because everyone is usually missing them. Give car-part.com a try and see if any new wrecks around you have them before you go for new ones. But if you got kiddos that will be using them in the back seat go for new ones. Better safe and all.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
white12

Post by white12 »

Ya it squeaks but not terribly. Is it a pretty simple fix? Thanks for the help. About to sign papers and want to make sure. Wife already hates it and she'll never let it go if I bring a lemon....
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

search this forum and the FB page, you can find a few people parting out cars for parts.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
white12

Post by white12 »

Well, I bought it. Squeaky belt and all. I'm pretty impressed actually. Pretty quick, handles great and those brakes.... holy cow. Hopefully it'll run well enough so that I can spend money on fun stuff.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Whooo Hooo!! Congrats!

FIrst thing you can to is take off the belt and check all your tensioner and idler pulleys for play. Could be the source of the squeak. If they feel OK then watch the crank pulley turn. If you see a wobble that maybe the source of the squeak.

A few vids for you to watch.

This is considered "Normal" for GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz8aQeXtgS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks and sounds much worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIlsRcA5hfw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
white12

Post by white12 »

Mine is probably somewhere in between the 2 videos. Not terrible. Thanks for all the help everyone. First on the list of things to do are the balancer, get the rear buckles, and wheels and tires. Wife will hate the car less with better looking wheels. I'll like shaving almost 50 lbs off the wheels and replacing the brand new winter tires for something stickier. After that probably do something with the center console and the Wife should basically stop yelling at me... for the car... the rest of my life is still screwed.
white12

Post by white12 »

So here's a few pic in case anyone is interested. Might as well show it off.