Just got my 2012 9c1

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Maschinenbau

Just got my 2012 9c1

Post by Maschinenbau »

Hello world!

I just received my 2012 9C1 (I think? The shifter is off to the side and it has no center console). It has 99k miles on it, formerly owned by the Allegany airport. I had it shipped from western PA to the western Chicago suburbs which I call home. I'm a mechanical engineer at electro-motive diesel, working on natural gas conversion kits for freight locomotives.

I've only driven the car a few times around town, but am already in love.

For several years now I've been wanting to move up to a torquier car from my 2006 Mazda MX-5 (miata), and figured I'd need an actual backseat since I've got a bunch of kids. I never had the means to pick up a G8 when they where on the market, so I was glad to hear they "came back" as the caprice. A used police car, I decided, was the perfect platform for my rwd v8 platform that met my realistic car criteria. I needed a car that I wouldn't cry over when the kids ran their bike handlebars down the dude (and the "hose out" vinyl backseat is a big plus).
And now I've got one!

I'm starting my punch list of everything that I'll need to get it to a comfortable daily driver status, and I'll forever keep a fantasy list of what I'd like to do, but probably won't.

First, gotta address the A/C. Hoping it's just low on refrigerant. Windshield squirter line is busted - gotta fix that too.

Next, the rear licence plate lamps are blacked out. I think that's a legal issue in my state. Do I need to disable the spot might to be legal?

Needs tires - haven't decided if I'll do summer and winter performance tires or just stick with all seasons.

There's a clunk coming from the rear axle when it goes over bumps, and a pretty good drive train rock when I downshift under power. I'll dig around a bit here and see if it sounds like any common problems. Steering wheel is off center, so I'll check the alignment too.

Need to get the rear door handles working, and the dome lights too.

Then, on to the "nice to haves"

I'm leaning toward the Chris white radio flash for Bluetooth and backup camera (I didn't see that anyone had a much better alternative in the forums). The dash volume adjust is glitchy. It likes to reset the radio volume to 0. But, the steering wheel control works fine.

A center console would be nice. I've seen some nice ones online with an armrest. I like the idea of a hand parking brake.

I've got little light bars in the front fenders where vents used to be. I haven't figured out where they're hooked up (or what color they are), but that might be fun.

I'll get around to the 100k service - I assume that's trans and diff fluid. I still need to find the owners manual.

Might do a trailer hitch (I sail, so have some trailers to occasionally pull around).

Fantasy list involves crossover exhaust, engine tune, and other engine bits. I'm not enough into looks to really do much with the outside. I quite like the current paint.
Attachments
I call it "monster"
I call it "monster"
20160507_084401.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 9351 times
Last edited by Maschinenbau on Sun May 08, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-AA
2012 Caprice PPV
jackleg

Re: Just got my 2012 9c1

Post by jackleg »

Hello,
New owner here too and enjoying learning about these cars.

I can tell you on my 2011, the heavy thud under acceleration was the left hand (drivers side) engine mount.

The Rear doors had the inside handle and lock knob cables disconnected. Just had to detrim the door panels, (3 screws along the bottom, one screw under a small square trim piece behind the inside handle, one screw behind pull out trim piece bottom rear of the arm rest, then pull the panel straight off. Pull the cables from behind the moisture barrier and reconnect them. I didn't see anything disconnected on the window switch and will check options on the Tec II when I get it to the dealer for the 2 open recalls (shifter pins and ign key unintended rotation)

Enjoy!
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey Maschinenbau, welcome to the forums! Do you ever make it down to GE in Melbourne? They're like 20 miles from me. I picked up a few Dash-8 items years back when they moved plant locations from John Rhodes Blvd, they had a roving surplus auction that went through the entire building. I sold a TDI VW to an engineer in the new building about 1 1/2 years ago.... small world! I also did in a small way a tiny bit of what you do a few years back, I put an aftermarket tri-fuel kit on my Craftsman 9.5 kw emergency generator. From gas only I can now do gasoline, propane, or natural gas to run the generator. I put a quick disconnect on the house NG supply, adjusted the regulator for correct RPM, and wham! 50 hours of instant emergency power! Then I stop it, change the oil, restart it for as long as I need. No standing in line at Circle K with a gas can in hand after the next hurricane for me!

But, onto the Caprice... Airport police vehicles can be a mixed blessing... they don't go that many places so they might have lower miles. But, for what they do run they have a lot of extended idle time, this anecdotally has been proven to be harder on the AFM lifters. However it's like with anything, buyer beware at auction time. You can download the owners manual from the site here, it's in our files section. Plenty of people that can help you here if you need advice on any one of a number of different issues. I still think we are all going to see long-term issues with the radio face volume controls for some reason, mine is very erratic as well and it's only at 76K miles with no police service.

Again, welcome!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Maschinenbau

Post by Maschinenbau »

Eric,
I haven't made it down to Australia yet, but it seems like every cycles through there eventually. But we call GE "the other guys." They're our competition!

It may run a little counter-cultural to the vibe I'm getting on the forum, but I actually like the AFM feature. I'm an engine nut, so any technology bits like that are right up my alley. I've got the 3.6 LFX engine in my wife's 2013 Impala, and I really, really enjoy that engine. But, as my grandfather used to say, "there's no replacement for displacement." All that being said, if the AFM lifters had trouble, I'd seek to restore the feature. I don't hear any lifter noise whatsoever, and haven't driven enough to tune in to the difference between 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder mode.

Jackleg,
thanks, I'll check into both of those, and let everyone know what I find.

-AA
-AA
2012 Caprice PPV
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Ummm, that's Melbourne, Florida - not Australia :lol: It'd be nice to visit the other Melbourne though! My AFM is still enabled as well, the tune I'm running it's set to cut off at 73 MPH. So, for long-distance Interstate cruising I'll set the cruise to 72 MPH. If you listen carefully to your exhaust you can hear when it cuts in & out, there's exactly a one octave shift in the note. Now whether I leave it enabled or not after powertrain warranty runs out on the car in June I haven't fully decided yet, conventional wisdom dictates the AFM lifters GO! And if I do that it's cam time!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

elc32955 wrote:Ummm, that's Melbourne, Florida - not Australia :lol: It'd be nice to visit the other Melbourne though!
Driving Sydney to Nowra in a rental Statesman is where I had my first taste of the WM. Then I drove an SV6 (I think) in New Zealand for a week. Finally I had a Commodore in Melbourne. The most vivid memory I have of that car was getting the 2 letters from Victoria (state?) a few weeks after I got home with speeding tickets totaling nearly $500USD. :shock: Ever since experiencing those Holdens I wanted one but couldn't afford a G8. Now I believe I have something better, and the steering wheel is finally on the right (left) side. :D
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)