Lug nuts? What's a good replacement?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
CrashTestDummy

Lug nuts? What's a good replacement?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

When I pulled a wheel the other day, I noticed that the car has those steel lug nuts that have a chrome-plated steel cover on them. While removing the nuts, I could feel the cover flexing in the socket already. My experience with those (in the deep dark past) is that eventually, those covers come off, usually stuck inside a socket, leaving you with a bare nut that is a different size.

Before that happens, I'd like to find a suitable replacement, hopefully something that's a little lighter (the stockers feel REALLY heavy), but looks similar. I've been kind of looking at the Maverick Man's 'Monster 35' lug nuts he has for the G8/SS crowd, but am open to suggestions. True, they'd look different, but they do look like they'd weigh less.

What, if anything, have others used?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Lug nuts? What's a good replacement?

Post by Navy Lifer »

looks like this should work: http://www.amazon.com/DPAccessories-LCB ... %3Acaprice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've dealt with a company called Brandsport, too: http://www.brandsport.com/golugnuwhlof6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open nuts with screw-on covers: http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.a ... origin=YMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dorman 611-115
GM 9591772
GM 9595175
external threads for screw-on plastic covers – I use with screw-on black covers on alloy wheels
used on 9C3 to retain wheel covers – widely used on many GM vehicles
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Those Doorman nuts look a lot like what's on our '02 GMC 2500HD. :-)

Those DPA nuts look nice. They state they're for aluminum wheels, though. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Not that they don't exist, but I've never seen a lug nut application that specified "for aluminum wheels ONLY".....so I really think the listing is misleading--there's nothing unique about steel lug nuts as far as compatibility with steel vs alloy wheels. I'd send an inquiry to ascertain if that statement actually means what you've translated it as meaning.

There ARE aluminum lug nuts out there, and I would hesitate to use them on steel wheels, most definitely.

The lug nuts on your 2500 HD are the same as those (from Dorman) that I identified.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I wasn't thinking about aluminum lug nuts. I have them on our autocross car, but ONLY on the front wheels, where we have studs long enough to engage the entire length of the nut. The rear studs aren't long enough..... yet. The way the factory nuts feel in your hand, I'm betting that just about anything would be lighter.

The main thing is just getting away from those steel caps. Even those that unscrew are better than the molded-on caps.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The wheel studs are the same length all the way around--are you saying the rear stud projection is less than front (meaning the rear hub flange or rear rotor hat is thicker)???
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

On my 3rd-Gen Firebird race car they are.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?