So I bought a set of CTS-V take-offs...

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
eagle-co94

So I bought a set of CTS-V take-offs...

Post by eagle-co94 »

I opened all 4 packages yesterday to find that all 4 wheels are the same part number, 19x9's. They're all made by Superalloy so I believe they're authentic CTS-V wheels...but they're all front wheels and not staggered. AFAIK V sedans have 9.5" rears and the coupes have 10" rears. I thought it was odd that all 4 tires were the same size but I figured that the owner just did that for ease of rotating tires.

AFAIK GXP wheels are 19x8's so these aren't GXP wheels with Caddy center caps either.

I looked closer at the tires and saw that they are all cupped too! Needless to say I'm pissed about the tires, but I'm on the fence about the wheels all being the same size. I figured that'd make things easier for me with putting them on the 9C3 and rotating them.

What's everyone's opinion? They were listed as 16k mile take-offs with no comment about the tires being ruined or that they aren't a matched set. I don't know if anyone in the area shaves tires, but that basically will cut down about 1/2 the tread depth to fix them, if that's even possible.

What would you do in this case?
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
storm9c1

Re: So I bought a set of CTS-V take-offs...

Post by storm9c1 »

The 3 Criswell cars that sold to the public in 2011 (my car included) were offered with CTS wheels. And they were all the same diameter. I opted to save thousands by having them put the stock 9C3 steel wheels back on. :)

Not sure if this helps you, but I don't see what would be wrong with running 4 wheels the same size. It certainly would help with rotations. Personally I wouldn't run used tires from anyone else's car. Was the transaction conducted with the strict understanding that tires were in excellent shape? In that case, I'd ask the seller to refund some money. When I buy wheels, I just tell the seller to keep the tires. Cheaper to ship that way! And no surprises with the used tires. What about TPMS? Did they come with those (for the Caddy of course)?
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

James, if you want to try to fix the tires I know of a place in Merritt Island that will true them for you. But that means you have to come up here to do it. Just an option.... these people have been in business pushing 60 years locally and it's a reputable shop. But I'd bet you could find someone down that way that still has the machine and the training to do it though.

If the tires & rims weren't as described either get some money out of the seller or back out of the transaction as item not as described.... especially if the tires are junk and the rims aren't staggered. You've got nothing to lose by raising a stink....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Exactly. I'm going to go through eBay as he keeps claiming that they are worth double what I paid for them yet he quickly accepted my offer. He claims the tires are fine and that because they're speed rated they should only last 18-20k and they have 16k on them already. The tires look more like about 5k on them but with alignment wear and the cupping. They were wrapped in plastic and not boxed so I let him know they'll have to be repacked as well.

Apparently I have to give him 3 business days to offer a solution so I still have a few days. I'm sure I can find a shop locally to shave the tires but we'll see as I will probably wait until I have the new motor in.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Tom I've been buying used wheels tires for decades now with no problems so I'm not worried about that at all. The difference in shipping bare wheels is significantly less that the price of new tires. I'm not sure if I will like these so I'm not looking to buy new tires until I've had a chance to run on these for a while.

The tires are obviously damaged and the seller either intentionally deceived me or is clueless about tires. Based on the fact he's trying to get technical in his replies I doubt the latter.

There's nothing wrong with 4 wheels the same width but cts-v's all came with staggered tires and that's what I thought I was buying. These should work fine with good tires but I wanted staggered wheels. I'm willing to keep these if I'm compensated for the tires.