Replacement tires... What did you buy?

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Tom Slick

Replacement tires... What did you buy?

Post by Tom Slick »

It's getting time to start looking for a new set of tires for my Caprice... Almost 30k miles on the originals...

What tires have you all gone with, and how are they performing for you?

Thanks!
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
leadfart

Re: Replacement tires... What did you buy?

Post by leadfart »

I run the Kumho Ecsta 4X. I like Kumho's, used to run them on my Impy and Camaro. Good treadwear, and cheap, 134.00, from Tirerack. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I dumped the RS-A's and switched to Continental DWS (all-season) in stock size, on Camaro LS/LT 5-spoke wheels, shortly after getting the car in Nov 2012, would have to check mileage, but we're at about 35K on the Conti tires now, maybe 5-10K max left.

Plan for next set of tires is 255/40-19 - Michelin A/S 3--wheel selection TBD.
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

I have General Altimax HP tires on my Impala (not a Caprice I know) and honestly I Am not impressed by them...and they are made in Brazil.

However, I have heard good things about General G-Max AS-3 tires. I think they make them in the correct stock size. My friend runs them on his Audi A6 ( again I know, not a Caprice) and he loves them...especially for the price. I've driven his car pretty hard on some back roads with they were pretty impressive. I don't know where these tires were made.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I bought Josh's takeoff RSA's, on the car now. Then I turned around and bought Bill's takeoff RSA's, they're on standby in my air-conditioned garage for when I finish going through the current set. Keeping it stock with the tires (but I changed wheels!). If I don't mangle a tire I'm probably set on tires through 100K.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I just went with a set of stock size Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season from Tire Rack at $150 each. I have put less than 300 miles on them so really can't say a lot other than they have been fine so far.

I have a second set of stock wheels and I intend to get a pair of Drag Radials in the spring for my 1/8 and 1/4 mile trips in the car. :-) that was what did my original Goodyears in!
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

So, did any of you go with XL load rated tires, or SL rated tires?

My originals are 235/50R18 XL 99W

I'm just curious to see if anyone has had any issues running an SL tire...

Thanks,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I have new Cooper Zeon RS3-A (SL ply) in the stock size. They have probably 1500 miles on them, so it may be too early to tell. They were $107 each at NTB.

I can say that they feel better and are a lot quieter than the RS-As they replaced.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
brenard

Post by brenard »

I also have the Conti DWS. Good grip on dry and wet roads, and very quiet on the highway. I'm thinking of getting the Pirelli on my next tire change.
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

I got my Caprice with set of Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 in stock 235/50R18 size - I found them to be good dry/wet cruising tires, quiet and provide decent grip for braking. For best performance however, when time comes to change tires I will go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport - which are just the best tires you can get. Also planning on extra set of wheels with BF Goodrich G-force Rivals tires for autocross - I really like their characteristics on the track, and with thread wear rating of 200 those are one of the best performing sport tires that won't kick you of street tire class.