TPMS sensors for Caprice

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
elc32955
System Manager

TPMS sensors for Caprice

Post by elc32955 »

I did some research on these yesterday so I thought I'd document my results for everyone.

I purchased some 2009 G8 GT wheels last week to have as a standby set for my 2015 Caprice in view of an eventual wheel swap-out since the offset is 100% correct using the G8 GT wheels on the Caprice (wheels made by Enkei). The discounted wheels I bought didn't come with TPMS, and since I'm betting the original TPMS batteries will eventually start crapping out soon on my Camaro wheels that I swapped my original sensors onto from my OEM steelies (7-8 year-old sensors) I decided to pick up a new set to have on-hand. Well, it's been alluded to in a few threads but not totally documented, but the 433 MHZ sensors for later Chevrolet cars will NOT work with our TPMS radios. You MUST use the 315 MHZ (314.9 MHZ actually) units.

For the 2014-2017 cars you have two possible part numbers if you want to stick with OEM Chevrolet sensors. Part #1381559 is the original issue sensor for the 14-17 Caprice. It's made by Schrader and it is their part #20228. It works for the 2014-2017 Caprice, the 2014-2017 SS, and the 2014 & 2015 Corvette. Using the Schrader PN you can get it from a number of sources like O'Reilly auto parts for example in case you need a quickie changeout. This sensor is now NLA from Chevrolet and has been upgraded to part #13598774. These are also used for the 14-17 SS and apparently the 14-19 Corvette as well. I don't know what the revision is to the unit but it also made by Schrader, I couldn't find their part number for it on the Schrader website.

The deal of the day right now is on the original sensors. There's one or two parts stores that are selling four of the original sensors for $45 or so shipped on EBAY, that's what I picked up a set of 4 of. Seeing that my local tire store sells replacement TPMS sensors for around $100 for each sensor, that's a pretty good deal! The current revision sensors RockAuto shows for $35.79 each, GM list according to GM Parts Direct is $67.41 each.

----------------------

The 2011-2013 sensors are part number 20925924 according to Rock Auto, they are used on a number of GM products. Also there are a number of aftermarket sensors that can be used including the Schrader 29047, Denso 5502401, the BH Sens RDE054V41, and the Standard TPM24A (noted as ID clone'able). All 315 MHZ.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
impaladakid

Re: TPMS sensors for Caprice

Post by impaladakid »

I usually get most things from Ebay, but I have got burned once with NOS sensors. Within months two crapped out from dead batteries. I always replace with AC Delco/GM. Again having got burned on aftermarket. Back in my B-body days things like O2 sensors, fuel pumps and various other sensors, it was a no no to go aftermarket. Boch O2 sensors would crap out, and so would fuel pumps. So I try to stick with ACD with TPMS sensors for the same reason.
Phantom Black 2012 9C1 L77

Past cars
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
1995 Caprice 1A2 police wagon
3 1994 caprice 9C1s
4 Buick Roadmaster Wagons
2 1995 Cadillac Fleetwoods
2 1994 Impala SS
1 1996 Impala SS
1 1996 Roadmaster sedan
1 1995 Roadmaster Sedan
1 1992 caprice 9C6
1 1991Caprice
1 1987 Grand National
1 1986 Camaro IROC 5 speed
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I'm playing around with replacing the batteries in these sensors. I have already taken one apart for my TrailBlazer which uses a similar sensor. My problem is soldering wires to the batteries but they do come back to life with a new battery connected (I have an advanced TPMS tool that reads sensor info). I'd probably need a special tool that attaches tabs to the batteries or get batteries with tabs already attached.

More to follow as time permits.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just thought I'd supplement this post with some new old information. There is currently a major run on counterfeit TPMS sensors packaged and branded almost exactly as OEM sensors are. I've been going through a spate of this on some Schrader sensors on EBAY for Ford products (TPMS-12), and I thought I'd pass this little gem onto you.

If on your new TPMS sensors you see them branded with a URL of "Schraderservice.com", these are COUNTERFEIT product NOT manufactured to Schrader quality standards. There is no such website. In discussion with Schrader tech support, Schrader has never ever used this URL to support any of it's manufactured products. Further, you can get on Alibaba and within 1-2 minutes I was able to locate no less than 3 Chinese mainland vendors providing the exact TPMS I was looking for (at a very low price mind you, around $1 per sensor!), marked with Ford proprietary product brand markings. The seller advertising reads they will basically put these sensors in any product packaging you want (READ: in Motorcraft product bags). Same goes for other brands such as AC Delco/GM.

I'm not necessarily a brand purist as there are a good many products that will function at equal to the performance of the OEM's. The problem becomes when a product is counterfeited as genuine (insert name here) brand unit with hidden substandard manufacturing practices like unknown battery life and air pressure calibration & sensitivity standards. When they are manufactured as counterfeits & marketed as genuine (brand) product, you're paying good money for the vaporware assurance the product you purchase will work as the GM/Ford/Chrysler factories specify. For battery life of 10 years, you may get one year. For a 36 PSI inflation, there's no telling what a counterfeit sensor will read. Bad business all the way around.

In my instance I filed a case with Ford Brand Protection, but that's like trying to plug a leak in a dam wall with a wine bottle cork - but with a damage surface area equal to a 155MM shell hit. Best defense is to be an informed buyer and be able to detect fraud out of the gate - before it bites you 24-36 months later with that flashing TPMS light while you mumble "I thought I CHANGED those $&*(&*(#$ sensors!!!".

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks for the update and info. As you can see from the other post, I will probably be needing them soon.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?