Show off your wheels ON YOUR CAR!

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
CrashTestDummy

Re: Show off your wheels ON YOUR CAR!

Post by CrashTestDummy »

From Wilwood, it looks like you can use the following parts for just the fronts:

Rotor Hats: Info / Part Number:
Hat - Part No: 170-11305
Type: Big Brake Hat - Short Offset
Material: Aluminum
Finish Color: Black E-Coat
Hat Offset Dimension (in): 0.53
Bolt Circle 1: 5 X 4.72
Bolt Circle 2:
Bolt Circle 3:
Stud Diameter - BC 1: 0.64
Stud Diameter - BC 2: 0
Stud Diameter - BC 3: 0

rotor bolt circle
Threaded 12 x 8.75 0.53 2.66

14"X1.25" rotor with 12X8.75" hat bolt circle:

GT 72 Curved Vane Rotor - slotted - 160-8398 and 160-8399 $285

SRP Drilled Performance Rotor - 160-8396-BK and 160-8397-BK $330

carbon ceramic - 160-12442 $2338 each!

At least that's what looks like will work. I had to hunt around a bit to determine the hat offset and rotor thickness. Those prices are from Wilwood.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-170-11305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hat for Wilwood - $173 each

Rotor rings
Slotted - $285 each ($263 @ Summit)

Over $900/pr before establishing that they actually fit.

So, the DBA 5000 Series rotors don't look so expensive by comparison....plus, it's not clear that a Wilwood package 2-piece rotor has the same/correct specs (offset/hat height) as an OE rotor or the application-specific DBA rotors mentioned in an earlier post.

The issue with the Wilwood rotor is that it's designed for their caliper & pad, which may also have a different annulus (rotor ring width (radially) than the OE Brembo caliper & pad, AND there's no safe assumption that the Wilwood (fixed) caliper operates in the same exact plane (laterally) as the OE Brembo caliper package.

Rotor dimensions (355mm front):
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... 78&jpid=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pad specs:
Hawk for Brembo: 77mm height x 132mm length
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performa ... /hb453b585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wilwood for 14.25" front Camaro kit: 72.9mm height x 149.1 length
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/BrakeP ... dtype=6617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above comparison does not clarify whether a Wilwood rotor would or would not work with the OE Brembo caliper/pad package based simply on the pad height difference.

A conversation with someone at Wilwood could resolve this--does Wilwood make a rotor/hat combination that is direct fit replacement for the OE 355 rotor, even if the Brembo calipers are retained?

Wilwood offers rotors for Corvettes that are direct-fit to work with OE (PBR 2-piston floating) calipers--C5 for example, which also will fit C6 base brake packages. These are the 325mm (12.8"), so no direct applicability to the 355mm (14") setup.
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK ... =140-8009U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Wilwood website does not list anything similar for the Gen5 Camaro, which is the common variant that's pertinent to the OE 355 rotor we're discussing.

One thing that disappoints me with Wilwood is their refusal to acknowledge that the OE specs of cars today are all metric numbers, so looking at the Wilwood hat, for example, everything that we know as published production info--hub center bore, wheel stud hole size, etc, is listed instead in English/SAE (ie. inches/fractions). Many US wheel suppliers are the same with the idea of wheel offset vs wheel backspace, where OEM's now use offset, in metric dimensions. Just a little annoyance on my part.

I'm not trying to knock down your idea of the Wilwood option, just responding to what I see...and I'm not advocating that we convert to the metric system in the US. I'm good with what areas I work in now that do use millimeters rather than inches.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed, I was making a lot of a$$umptions there, and doing some Engrish-to-metric conversions there to come up with something that could, at least occupy the same space as the OEM only with an aluminum hat. Remember, too, you haven't bolted them together, so there's added expense there. If putting a two-piece rotor together, and only because they'd be together for the life of the car, I'd opt for titanium fasteners, which are about $4 each. But that's just me.

Yep, the CTS-V/SS brake configuration is a fairly cheap upgrade, but if you try to piece something together from the aftermarket, things get quite expensive rapidly.

Hmm, sorry to have hijacked this thread. It was supposed to be a discussion of wheels. :oops:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

And funny this showed up today....yes, a thread hijack, I suppose, but it gets the juices flowing!

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/new- ... -and-kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

I haven't been on here for a while. Not much new to say.
You guys probably remember my car with the 19" Cadillac CTS wheels.
I had chrome 2010 Camaro wheels on it but they rubbed with the stock Camaro tires and I didn't want to go any lower with the profile.
Recently I was on a trip and got moved over by a truck that I guess didn't see me.
I ended up scuffing both driver's side wheels on the cement medium barrier.
Luckily nothing worse happened.
I'm going to be looking for something new in the spring.
I believe the XTS/Lacross/new Impala wheels have the same bolt pattern and about the same offset as the Caprice.
I like the new Impala 19" wheels, so that might be my next choice.
Either that or aftermarket.
I'd like to get bigger brakes too, but it's just too expensive.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Nice seeing your car again Barry!

Mine has not changed, still undercover. I have never changed the plastic hubcaps.

2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

The Tech wrote:Mine has not changed, still undercover.
Well....except for the noise it makes!!
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

bkwagonss wrote:
The Tech wrote:Mine has not changed, still undercover.
Well....except for the noise it makes!!
True...and the extra 90 rwhp is fun too.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

did any one notice a big differnce in the cars ability spin the tires once the heavy steel wheels were ditched and replaced with a lighter aluminum wheel?
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
KERR

Post by KERR »

so recap for us sorta newbies,

GM, caddie, camaro, G8, GTO, etc wheels will bolt on. 5x120.....

Also the silver stock wheels are not wheels? those are plastic hub caps like in "The tech" picture