Corvette wheel fitment

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Notorious

Corvette wheel fitment

Post by Notorious »

Hey ya'll, hope everyone is good. I've a set of corvette wheels (18Front, 19Rear) and am told that i will need spacers to have to run on the rears and even the front possibly. Can i safely drag and roll race with them on? (i was eyeing on other 5x120 wheels but since i've these vette wheels laying in the garage, i'd figure might as well put them to use, im not sure if they're from a C5 or C6 but my guess is the C6), i can post pics later. I really do like em and my buddy had similar wheels on his 14 caprice and ran perfectly fine until when he was told by a tire shop if he took his rear wheels off, he wont be able to put em back on without longer wheel studs. I've the rear spacer and front spacer or adapter but the rear spacers shows some sign of minor cracks. I just want to know if i can race in such a set up and what specifically is required to run these wheels (also i plan on having the rears atleast 305 width and fronts 265 or 275).
Attachments
IMG_6614.jpeg
IMG_6614.jpeg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMG_6613.jpeg
IMG_6613.jpeg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMG_6612.jpeg
IMG_6612.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMG_6611.jpeg
IMG_6611.jpeg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMG_6093.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
IMG_6092.jpeg
IMG_6092.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 2155 times
Notorious

Re: Corvette wheel fitment

Post by Notorious »

The rear spacers show signs of cracks so im worried to run these
Attachments
IMG_6616.jpeg
IMG_6616.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 2154 times
IMG_6615.jpeg
IMG_6615.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2154 times
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I wouldn't run those spacers that have visible cracks, risk is too high.

Spacers can be fine but you have to use the correct stud length, and be absolutely crazy about checking the torque on them constantly. I personally wouldn't run any spacers at any considerable speed or with slicks or super sticky tires.

Its one of those things that is generally considered safe if done correctly. The fact that the set you have cracked shows that either they were installed incorrectly or were made of an inferior material, either way, unsafe.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

BluesBro wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:18 pm I wouldn't run those spacers that have visible cracks, risk is too high.

Spacers can be fine but you have to use the correct stud length, and be absolutely crazy about checking the torque on them constantly. I personally wouldn't run any spacers at any considerable speed or with slicks or super sticky tires.

Its one of those things that is generally considered safe if done correctly. The fact that the set you have cracked shows that either they were installed incorrectly or were made of an inferior material, either way, unsafe.
Thanks, i definitely wont run them. You reckon its possible to just bolt these corvette wheels on without spacers? i know its best to go check myself from the tire shop which i shall soon after i get some work done.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

They will probably bolt up, the difference in bolt pattern is very small. I have known many german car guys that bolt the corvette wheels on 5x120mm cars. Seems to work, but I would check lug torque very frequently.

With conical lugs the hub bore is probably not an issue, personally I'd get hubcentric rings to adapt the caprice hub to the corvette size.

the corvette uses 12mm studs and the caprice uses 14mm studs, so that may be an issue.

assuming these are the C6 18in wheels the offset will probably work, but corvette size tires will probably look small on the car.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

BluesBro wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:34 pm They will probably bolt up, the difference in bolt pattern is very small. I have known many german car guys that bolt the corvette wheels on 5x120mm cars. Seems to work, but I would check lug torque very frequently.

With conical lugs the hub bore is probably not an issue, personally I'd get hubcentric rings to adapt the caprice hub to the corvette size.

the corvette uses 12mm studs and the caprice uses 14mm studs, so that may be an issue.

assuming these are the C6 18in wheels the offset will probably work, but corvette size tires will probably look small on the car.
Wow thank you, i didn't know this. If its not too much to ask, do you know where i can find some good hubcentric rings for the rear and front? i am a complete newbie on this and i just wanna make sure i get all the right parts so these vette wheels fit. Ill make a list and get whatever you recommend is needed for these wheels to safely bolt on without any issues or lights popping on the dash. I plan to drag and roll race alot so for the front 18s i plan on running 275/40 or 45 and rears being 19 i wanna run 305/35 but i've heard since the car is lowered, fenders might have to be rolled or having spacers is a must, but to be honest i just wish and want to slap these wheels on like people do with camaro and ss wheels that bolt on directly and have fat tires on.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Lots of folks sell hub rings. You can choose from common sizes or have them make just about any size you need.
An internet search for "hub rings" will lead you to a ton of folks.
Here's one: https://www.hpdwheels.com/collections/h ... tric-rings

Joe
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

JoeR wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:55 pm Lots of folks sell hub rings. You can choose from common sizes or have them make just about any size you need.
An internet search for "hub rings" will lead you to a ton of folks.
Here's one: https://www.hpdwheels.com/collections/h ... tric-rings

Joe
Thanks Joe! appreciate it.